Linn Lp12

Hello
I will use the re capped lingo 1 initially as the upgrade to the 4 isn’t a major strip down and can be done during routine service, the karousel I’ve got,the kore ASAP, perhaps together with the ittok 3 or if I can an stretch an ekos, ordering the karousel and a new motor tomorrow, just got a dynavector dv-20x2 low output cartridge.
More on the original posting apparently the majik and core sub is the same construction and material, which means the kore alloy armboard and the bonding process costs an awful lot of money even by linns standards.

Good suggestion. I have a friend who has a similar set up to the OP and has just added a Whest Titan, seems madness but it has pushed his LP12 into another league. Also another consideration is the tone arm cable - it’s the kit that takes the signal from the cart to everything else, often forgotten about :wink:

2 Likes

Interestingly, someone is selling a NIB Ekstatik just now. Were I not faithful to my longstanding Linn dealer…

Thank you @Richard.Dane. I wasn’t sure about putting the name. :+1: for your guidance.

1 Like

Hello yes I had remembered the external tonearm cable and have just purchase the latest T cable, the phono stage is Naim 523k boards to be converted at class a to S spec, is that ok or another rethink.

Looks like you’re all set-up. Get it built, enjoy it for a while and see what you think.

After becoming familiar with the sound and wanting further upgrades, demos will be easier against what you have experienced.

Being a LP12, regardless of configuration, it will be a great record spinner and a treasured companion for possibly a long time.

Wow the Whest Titan is way way outside my budget, hence my reservation about the kore, regards.

Very good sound advice, I will contact the dealer after Christmas and book it in, unfortunately it’s 70 miles away, so it’s going to take a bit of organising as I’m my very ill wife’s principal carer, I haven’t literally been outside the house in 14 weeks, all the things mentioned and purchased have been sight unseen using reviews and advice, I haven’t been able to audition any one part, in fact since early September my car has only done 200 miles and I live in a village with no transport, on a brighter note it’s been incredibly economical it’s had the same tank of fuel all last year.

4 Likes

I’m in that same situation, unfortunately. My best wishes, it is important to keep on organising and planning these things for yourself also, sometimes with help from others. Happy holidays!

1 Like

Yes its serious money … I gave it as an example of a better phono stage that will give you big uplift in performance. You don’t need a Titan but something upsteam of what you have will benefit.

I’ve been on th LP12 upgrade for nealy 20 years and have pretty much reached the limit. I must say each upgrade has increased the enjoyment of my vinyl collection. Its a great TT and I have no interest in buying an alternative to the LP12 so you can rest assured that where and when you can upgrade you’ll have even more enjoyment!! All the best for Christmas. Pete

2 Likes

Hello, I’m not sure if I am doing something wrong but there seems to be a lot of blank spaces in the replies, for example one from daddycool shows for a second then just disappears, if it’s me I apologise, if not best wishes to all who have helped, I have ordered and paid for possibly the last few part, which was the trampolin and a new motor, I am waiting until after Christmas regarding the kore in the hope Santa brings a lucky person a keel meaning a kore will be up for grabs, I hope. Regards Neil.

I had that idea first… :thinking:

Hello, let’s hope Santa has a few in his sack this year and nobody has been a bad lad :crossed_fingers:t2:

Hello again
I wonder if Linn have actually considered the idea of a metals arm board, I cannot see any downside other than they won’t sell as many kore kits, but on the other hand they might sell a lot more to people such as myself who have a majik but reluctant to spend to upgrade, I accept the kore will improve the sound quality but I seem to remember linn actually said the laminate board isolated the tonearm and reduced resonance, surely the all in one kore as shown on the Linn video rings like a bell, perhaps with the new bearings resonance isn’t such an issue, any ideas?

having been a couple of times to Glasgow and seen the Kore being made and the bonding between sub and arm board is superb and I can see why Linn offer this as factory only, but it is just sub and metail arm board to the best of my knowledge

I believe the Keel in the early days was made for Linn, I think it was SME ?? - now in house - My Keel is the 13 different upgrade of the Keel from Linn one thing for sure all will offer more music to the deck going up in scale, Kore is superb the Keel is exceptional

1 Like

Hello
Sorry to hear you are in a similar situation, music is definitely a help when stressed a nice cd really helps, if your on this forum I’m sure your the same, since selling my old Lp12 to make way for the new build I have amassed around 50 new LPs, I cannot wait to sit back and listen to them, best regards Neil.

1 Like

Anyone replaced the Linn T-kable DIN RCA with good results and if so to what?

.wHy?

1 Like

I’ve compared the Majik sub-chassis to the Kore and the the difference in sound quality is slight. As an upgrade from Majik, the Kore is very poor value for money. Invest in the power supply next and skip the Kore for something better later. The Tangerine Plateau and Phoenix are excellent and great value for money.

5 Likes

Hello and thank you for your reply, I have decided not to upgrade to the kore, your message just confirms that I have made the right choice, the kore has gone up in price by 15% in my opinion making it even worse value for money as an upgrade from the majik, essentially the difference is an armboard made of different material which is glued to the majik sub chassis, perhaps Linn should start supplying dealers with the armboard and the glue as a cost effective alternative, I know lots of people will disagree bhowever I bet a lot more would have gone done the less expensive armboard path if it had been available. Regards.

3 Likes