LISTENING EXPERIENCE for linear ps and switches

Supposed to be pretty good according to those on the Uptone site, where dud you buy and how much dud it cost please, if you do not mind…i am tempted in the long run.

Less than 100$ on Aliexpress. Waiting to get the bnc cable which I had assumed was included and wasn’t. Let me see what it does…

Thats an excellent price compared to some i have browsed…look forward to your review. All the best👍

Also look forward to your findings. Are they all square wave 75 Ohm outputs?

Found the specs of that clock. Curious if it can better the tcxo clock inside the ER.

10MHz Frequency Standard OCXO Crystal Oscillator Frequency Standard Adjustable 10K-180M

Product Details:

• Name: Adjustable OCXO Frequency Standard
  • Model No.: ADJ-OCXO-LCD-STD
  • Power Supply: DC11.7-12.9V, <=18W
  • Output Wave, Power: 2 Channel Programmable, Square Wave, Amplitude 3.3Vpp; 1 Channel 10MHz, square wave, Amplitude 3.3Vpp
  • Adjustable Frequency Range/Step: 10K-180MHz/Step 10Hz
  • Output Interface: power supply: 5.5/2.1 socket; signal output: BNC port; program interface: 3.5mm stereo socket
  • Indicators:
    ALM: Alarm Light. Always on: means frequency out of range; Flash: means PLL is unlocked;
    PWR: Power Indicator. When it is on, it means there is power supply.
  • Size: 107 x 55 x 172 mm (Including BNC Connector)

Package Included:

• 1 x OCXO Frequency Standard
  • 1 x Power Adapter AC 110-220V
  • 1 x Program Cable

Some elsewhere have discovered the Buffalo BS GS2016 switch. It’s apparently a big bargain and sounds very good.
Melco and Buffalo are the same company.
The Melco S100 ( 2k) and the Buffalo ( 100 dollars), look very similar.

4 Likes

They do don’t they, even down to the silk screened PCB No.

Sorry, can’t understand. You say there are differences?

Hi FR,
No, Roog is agreeing that they look almost identical. They certainly look it!

2 Likes

Interesting find there FR. It looks like our Asian friends were experimenting back in 2017. I wonder where Melco got the idea for a ‘high end’ switch…

Very interesting FR.

Unless Melco have ‘breathed on’ this identical-looking piece of hardware, making it more audio focussed, one could be forgiven for saying Melco are taking the pis*.

2 Likes

No, charging a lot more to people who will pay it is simply good business sense, servicing a community that believes in names and cost as indicators of sound quality… If that is what Melco are doing, I doubt they are the first.

That is no reflection on individuals here, but a generalised observation.

1 Like

The most intriguing is that someone, on elsewhere forum, made a comparison between that Buffalo switch, with a linear ps, and the most expensive switch on the market ( Telegartner M12/ 6k). The M12 sounded a bit nicer, but the Buffalo more involving and spacious. However it costs bare 100 dollars.
In France, some preferred the Buffalo vs Cisco Meraki Catalyst.

What switch it is ?

Perhaps it looks similar but the components inside are of better quality?
@Simon-in-Suffolk can perhaps say, from looking, if there are differences.

Very interesting :grinning:

If you read the Ethernet low noise design papers from Texas Instruments, much performance in this area is in component layout, and PCB track layout… and your two pictures look pretty similar… well effectively identical

In those photos I can’t recognise any PHYTER transceiver components or equivalent… which are special devices designed to reduce Ethernet emissions.

1 Like

The Buffalo one you mentioned.

1 Like

They have the same PCB assy part number, that tells me they are the same

1 Like

Indeed… and both look rather standard as per my point about PHYTER transceivers.

Ah ok. Because I see like yellow ( An) batteries ( caps?) on your pic, but not in the pic I posted. However your pic has greater resolution…