London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

What is going on? This is meant to be fun why be so regimented? Jazz is about diversity in my book so let’s all just loosen up a little and enjoy the music.

1 Like

What is the interest to have only musicians who play only in UK? Why is it so important to you ?
Instead of defining the strict lines and borders, it should be more interesting to read your musical contribution, which I have some difficulties to find.

I did contribute and you will see that early in the thread Krautnamie thanked me for that. I have wide interests beyond the UK as far as music is concerned, but the point of any thread here is to try to focus on a musical topic, or a particular hifi issue, or an aspect of streaming, etc depending on the main heading, set up by Naim for the forum. Jazz is huge and diverse genre and this thread focused on a particular aspect of contemporary jazz. I was hoping to learn more about that scene and that it might develop into a more detailed appreciation of the music and the musicians rather than a long list of what people had just listened to. I became frustrated wading through a lot of music that was irrelevant to the topic.

My counter question to you is why do keep posting non-UK music here rather than in the relevant generic jazz thread?

Anyhow that’s a rhetorical question, as I am going to leave you and Bobthebuilder to get on with it.

1 Like

The intention of the thread is to share the music of the actual Jazz Scene in Britain/London. Of course the nationality of the players is not important. It is also ok if a player takes part in this scene and is also active in other scenes.

We are all here to enjoy and share our music, guys, in these times it is more important than before. :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

I was , on the contrary of you, interested to discover some new artists and then listening to them. I was not hoping to learn specially something. For that I have All about music site and other places.
I was also glad to share the artists I like, and choose to post those that I found sharing the same spirit, be it from UK and sometimes outside.
Anyway the last posts above killed my enthusiasm.
I leave here the thread.

@Richard.Dane
Sorry to inconvenience you Richard but I think some moderation may be appropriate here.
As discussed in the last few posts, this thread has a particular specific focus.
Unfortunately a couple of members namely @Bobthebuilder and @frenchrooster are seeking to mis use this thread to push their own personal musical agenda, we’ve been here before with at least one of said members.
The agressive response to calls for the thread to stay on topic speaks for itself.

As I posted above, I agree that it’s best to keep the thread on topic. However, I think it’s appropriate to pay heed to Krautnaimie’s recent post this morning;

The intention of the thread is to share the music of the actual Jazz Scene in Britain/London. Of course the nationality of the players is not important. It is also ok if a player takes part in this scene and is also active in other scenes.

We are all here to enjoy and share our music, guys, in these times it is more important than before.

Rather than point fingers at each other, let’s just try to be civil with one another and get back on topic. Thanks.

1 Like

That’s it, @Richard.Dane

Let’s go back to the music

2 Likes

Melissa has been around for a few yers years now but 12 Stars is her first date for Blue Note I believe.

1 Like

Also posted this over on the vinyl thread this should be a great debut record from British/West African band Kokoroko.

2 Likes

This is more like what we want in the thread!

Kokoroko bring an ethnic diversity to the British Jazz scene that reflects not only the genre but British culture too. It’s the Britain that I grew up in and was educated in that is a brilliant two fingers up to the single minded.

1 Like

The last feminine artist from Brooklyn was interesting. Strangely Bandcamp doesn’t have the album you posted, only their first, « Visions ».

Bob, given some of your previous remarks, are you sure?

You made me laugh anyway
Bless
:heart:

Clearly it doesn’t take a lot but glad I made you laugh.

1 Like

Kokoroko - We Give Thanks, From their debut LP

1 Like

if you’re interested Amazon selling the 2xLP for just £I0.99

Nérija is Nubya Garcia (tenor saxophone), Sheila Maurice-Grey (trumpet), Cassie Kinoshi (alto saxophone), Rosie Turton (trombone), Shirley Tetteh (guitar), Lizy Exell (drums) and Rio Kai (bass)

2 Likes

Worth it for Shirley Tetteh alone!

1 Like

Cerys played this on 6Music this morn. From Welsh Wales Huw Marc Bennett - Tresilian Bay All his own work with the excellent Chelsea Charmichael on saxes/flute. Sweet as. A jazzy/electronica/afrobeat/highlife/dub mash-up.

3 Likes