London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Good spot - I have ordered.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Shame about the hidden cost.
The recent BBC drama Life & Death In The Warehouse is a good depiction of life for the workforce at places like Amazon

The last person who paid this much attention to what I have to say was my partner and we’ve been together 22 years. Perhaps like that relationship this could be the start of something special Dread!

I dont know what your drivelling about.
I’m pointing out the true cost of buying records at places like Amazon

That’s a relief

2 Likes
1 Like

Is this Jazz? I’m note sure it certainly deserves to be shared though.

Arooj is more a citizen of the modern world rather than belonging to any one nation she was born to Pakistani parents in Saudi Arabia and now lives in Brooklyn but what is certain is that she is incredibly talented and has a lot to share.

In case you missed her LP Vulture Prince first time around it’s now available again on Pre Order.

1 Like

More Mansur.

1 Like

This article is in the Guardian today and while the musicians aren’t all playing jazz, there are many whose music is relevant to this thread. I have yet again to confess how ignorant I am.

3 Likes

Unfortunately it costs 25 Euros over here

I presume that is the subscription price for the Guardian. I can give you the names of the musicians mentioned so you can follow them up.
Errollyn Wallen (she is primarily a classical musician)
Jean Toussaint, sax
Carleen Anderson, singer
Eska, singer
Keith Waithe, flute
Omar Lye-Fook, singer and multi-instrumentalist
Pat Thomas, piano

2 Likes

Interesting Clive, some new names to me there. the mention of Omar reminded me of this album I have with Omar and another big player in UK Jazz Courtney Pine

Check it out

:heart:

1 Like

On the subject of older Black UK Jazz musicians, Jamaican born Saxophonist Andy Hamilton should be given dues…

:heart:

3 Likes

Some great artists there Clive I’ve seen Carleen Anderson quite a few times as a solo artists and with The Young Disciples and as Paul Weller’s backing singer her backing vocals on Stanley Road especially Wings of Speed are just beautiful. She is the daughter of Vicki Anderson, Step Daughter of Bobby Byrd and God Daughter of James Brown.

I’ve also seen Omar several times over the years below is a Live recording only available on CD of his concerts at the Jazz Cafe last year I think.

2 Likes

Yussef Dayes and Alfa Mist

2 Likes

Released today

Ill Considered - Liminal Space

Blue-noted jazz modulators Ill Considered here present their irst fully produced studio album on New Soil - ‘Liminal Space’. After releasing a whopping 9 self-released albums in the space of 2 years, this is their first studio-crafted LP following their step up to the label, and are soon set to show it off at a debut interactive A/V residency at Southbank Centre’s Purcell Room. Fresh with a new lineup, the noodling bass of Liran Donin courses the ears like velvet on ‘Dust’, while Dadaist freakouts, courtesy of Emre Ramazanoglu’s drums, cause anxious goosebumps on reaching ‘Light Trailed’

3 Likes

Unfortunately I’ll be away for this but looks like a great line up Gala 22 Peckham Rye June 2-4th

Line up includes. Mansur Brown and Sons of Kemet.

Absolutely and I’m delighted that Andy Hamilton got so much national recognition in the last 30 years of his life. Sadly The Drum, the Black Arts Centre was closed, but the Jazz club at Bearwood Corks still active. I lived round the corner for 30 odd years, so saw him at the Bear Hotel and the Corks many times. There is a vibrant cultural scene in Birmingham including music.

1 Like