London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Cheers Stokie, nice post. I was born in Birmingham, Small Heath. My uncle one time was caretaker of a community hall in Handsworth, he told me about a time when he asked a band that were rehearsing in there without permission to vacate the place. Turns out it was Steel Pulse! I couldnt believe it when he told me, one of my favourite bands who literally changed and likely saved my life but thats a long story.
So glad to see someone on here recognising Andy Hamilton
:heart:

1 Like

Although apart from beefing up your credentials what that has to do with this thread I’ve no idea, Andy Hamilton is Jamaican and Steele Pulse are a Reggae Band.

1 Like

I’m not one to intrude on a private quarrel, I’ll just say that Andy Hamilton came to Britain in 1949 and played many styles of Jamaican music. He booked and promoted many bands, including Steel Pulse. He was a big influence on the British Jazz scene. He also taught many players. Courtney Pine much younger played at his 90th birthday tributes. So fusion was very much part of the Birmingham scene and indeed continues to be so. He didn’t record until he was over 70 himself. But as he died in 2012, so I’m happy to listen to recommendations for younger players.

3 Likes

Steel

Well done Narra Mine.

Andy Hamilton mentioned earlier, his two World Circuit albums I see are available on streaming sites and physical copies can be picked up inexpensively on Discogs
@Stokie

:heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed post Stokie you’ve educated me.

1 Like

Thanks! Was travelling today, but will listen tomorrow. I’ve never heard his recordings, only live, so a time ago.

1 Like

ken colyer new orleans to london 10 inch record. 1955. in perfect condition.
i was at school. i still play it.

You are welcome, he was known as a Birmingham musician and only got wider recognition later in life. Soweto Kinch certainly knew him (and still currently is based in Birmingham, I believe).

Silvershine is the album he’s most noted for, Jamaica By Night to be honest isnt as good but enjoyable. As you say he wasnt really a recording artist as much as Live

1 Like

bob well done i have been with my good lady 55 years.

1 Like

Soweto Kinch I know thanks again.

2 Likes

Wow that’s a long stretch well done hope you enjoy many more years together.

you want to know the secret. i keep my cheque book open and my mouth closed.

1 Like

Good morning, guys! Does anybody have the LP “Portico Quartet LIVE”. If yes: How is the pressing? I had to send 2 LPs from PQ back. This album is actually sold at amazon for 19 Euros, could be an occasion…

1 Like

I havent heard this but just spotted it on one of my mailings.

Secret Night Gang

Heres the blurb

Secret Night Gang are poised for greatness, beaming out of Manchester with a dazzlingly sunny jazz funk sound which is right at home on Brownswood. Fronted by Kemani Anderson, this supremely talented band have all the chops you could wish for, melting buttery Rhodes, honey-coated sax, slinky bass and liquid guitar lines into the pot and laying it on smooth. From upbeat party pieces to cosy, baby-making fodder, this debut album rightly places them in the cut and thrust of the contemporary jazz scene, and they brim with more than enough talent to take themselves very far indeed.

1 Like

“Upbeat party pieces to cosy, baby-making fodder”…

I’m not enamoured of the description.

1 Like

Hence the caveat, “I havent heard this” :joy:
But I’m going to

Good luck!
Maybe the description was ironically intended and they’re actually a cutting edge bunch…

Let us know!