London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

It’s not jazz, but commercial soul funk, a bit sirupy.

Thanks FR, I feared as much going by the hype.

I’ll probably stick to The Meters.

3 Likes

Trust your own ears Stevie…go on I dare ya :japanese_ogre:

Do every day, Dread.
That’s why so many forum favourites aren’t in my library.

1 Like

But not in this instance :japanese_ogre::wink:

Ok, im going to give it a listen now in the cab. If I like it looks like I’m in trouble :wink:

Like you, I haven’t heard them.

But the strapline wasn’t encouraging…

Just listening now…only two tracks in…absolutely fantastic in a Ford Cortina with Furry Dice kind of way! :wink:
Its on Brownswood so I guess Gilles Peterson likes it :thinking:

Hang on…track 3!..:sleeping::zzz:

The taxi DJ, broadcasting on…

1 Like

Sarf o the river FM :joy:

1 Like

With Delbert Wilkins!

Of the BBC!

1 Like

Not new to some of you of course Hailing from Norwich Mammal Hands are signed to Matthew Halsall’s Gondwana label this track Riddle is especially good really enjoy the Middle Eastern feel.

1 Like

Very good, thanks @Bobthebuilder

1 Like

A short film preview of Yazz Ahmed’s concert with the BBC Orchestra. The multi talented musician has released music on Naim’s own record label has recorded and studied with Shabaka Hutchings who plays on her first and second records the second La Saboteuse on Naim Jazz is very good.

Her third record Polyhymnia is almost entirely played by female artists including Camila George, Rosie Turton, Nubia Garcia, Shirley Tetteh and Sarah Tandy. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find a recording of the above concert it was played on Radio 3 in 2021 if anyone can find a recording I’d be really grateful.

1 Like

Only the CD I’m afraid. They’re on Bandcamp and selling the vinyl via there as well

1 Like

I have La Saboteuse and this post prompted me to look again for Polyhymnia, but fruitlessly. I don’t understand why her CDs and LPs don’t seem to be issued in the UK (apart from La Saboteuse which is easily available). I keep getting emails from her pointing me to Bandcamp but the prices are all in dollars. According to Discogs Polyhymnia has only been issued in the US and Japan, except as a download in the UK. Anyone have any insight into this? Maybe she is still contracted to another label (Naim?) in the UK?

1 Like

Good Morning @all! I finally got the Portico Quartet LP yesterday. It is a good pressing and the music, of course, is brilliant. It’s from Real World Records, very nice for 17 Euros. After a quick wash I will enjoy the record this afternoon.

2 Likes

Dont forget to clean your teeth! :wink:

1 Like