London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

UK LONDON

Gilles Peterson has partnered with Jean-Paul “Bluey” Maunick to reinvigorate the loose, protean energy of the early-80s Brit-funk scene. Long-time friends and collaborators, STR4TA sees them mine new musical possibilities out of that shared formative era. It was through Maunick’s band, Incognito – one of the essential groups of an oft-overlooked, vital pocket of Black British musical history – that they first connected. On “Aspects”, he and Peterson revisit that important period and the spirit that guided it: self-taught, DIY vitality, and a raucous energy built on live performance.

3 Likes
1 Like

Hailing from France but based in South London the very excellent Neue Grafik.

Foulden Road by the Neue Grafik Ensemble came out in 2019

followed by Foulden Road II a couple of weeks ago I actually discovered these back to front hearing the second one first both are excellent though and available from Bandcamp.

1 Like

Neue Grafik Live

1 Like

strong text

3 décembre 2018

Nik Svarc -Guitar
Steve Hanley-Drum Kit and Percussion
Martin Longhawn -Organ/Wurlitzer
Snowy Svarc-Voice
Recorded at Beat Street Studios
Engineered by Oliver Sekunda
Mixed by Oliver Sekunda,Nik Svarc and Martin Longhawn
Mastered at Beat Street Studios by Oliver Sekunda

If you like MEDESKI MARTIN and WOOD with John Scofield, you may like this band. I discovered it last night. Very good sound quality too.

2 Likes

Nice track from Jelly Cleaver on Bandcamp

This track was inspired by Arturo Escobar’s book ‘Designs for the Pluriverse’, a beautiful book which describes the ontology of Cosmovisions as a way for humankind to live in harmony with nature and itself. The full EP’s coming soon!

2 Likes

Forevor Prescence is very good

2 Likes

Is that a new one? The above is available now

1 Like

Not heard Chelsea Carmichael until recently, but really enjoying this.

Shabaka Hutchings’ new label Native Rebel Recordings welcomes understated innovator and educator Chelsea Carmichael for a superb debut album. The River Doesn’t Like Strangers is a fresh serving of innovative jazz that finally makes its way to vinyl and features plenty of her hypnotic and warm playing, smart improvisation and subtle sound work. Cultural powerhouse Shabaka Hutchings himself wrote a set of songs for the record which were then perfumed with Chelsea playing alongside Eddie Hick from Sons of Kemet, Dave Okumu from The Invisible and Tom Herbert from The Invisible and Polar Bear
:heart:

1 Like

The text is from an e-mail from Bandcamp, I think there is an EP to release in the future

1 Like

Thanks. In the meantime check out Forevor Prescence if you havent already :+1:

1 Like

Great album, unfortunately the shipping costs are very high to the EU…

Do you have an LP from her? How good are the pressings?

1 Like

There is no Jelly LP as yet, as far as I know. Forever on vinyl is very good, at least on my copy.

2 Likes

As Stevie said its an EP. Its on Gearbox records whos vinyl are consistently very well pressed and mastered using vintage valve analogue gear.
I dont have the vinyl yet, I’ve been streaming it so far but Gearbox are a buy with confidence label ime

1 Like

Forever Presence is available as Vinyl, listed at Amazon DE

Thanks @Dreadatthecontrols :+1:

That’s why I have a copy!
Worth a listen and a good purchase.

2 Likes

I dont normally support Amazon but if you are give this a try too, on Gearbox Records

a1792117924_13
:heart:

1 Like

Thanks @steviebee :+1:

1 Like

Shipping from the UK to the EU is absolutely unattractive these days…thanks to Brexit :roll_eyes: