London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

It was just my joke, no problem :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, been enjoying Shabaka Hutchings through collaborations with Nightmares on Wax, Shout Out! To Freedomā€¦ (which if it doesnā€™t give away too much about my record collection, sorts very close to Nilotika Cultural Ensemble!)

Lining up Afrikan Culture for later. Lunchtime listening time restricted to this one

Hope youā€™re recuperating!

2 Likes

Thanks @gthack back still playing up but great excuse to just idle and listen to music.

I love Nilotika Cultural Ensemble, glad you are too. You might also like the simikarky titled but in a different style to Nilotika the Nok Cultural Ensemble - Njhyi

More relevant to this thread, Iā€™m sure your probably aware but if not for more Shabaka check Sons Of Kemet, Shabaka And The Ancestors, The Comet Is Coming.

Thanks for the Nightmares On Wax tip, will check that out
Have a great New Year
:heart:

3 Likes

I was not aware! Thank you. Despite the excitement of New Classic, this is the sort of thing that really makes the forum for me, really appreciate the breadth and depth of musical knowledge.

Have a great New Year too, heal fast :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I highly recommend Sons Of Kemets first two albums which just happen to be on the Naim label

Burn

Lest We Forget What We Came Here To Do

The Comet Is Coming - Channel The Spirits (debut album but there all pretty good)

Thanks again for the goodwill message, Iā€™m getting there
:heart:

2 Likes

I donā€™t often come through this door Dread but my algorithm :rofl: indicated I would enjoy thisā€¦

And I did.

Hope for the old boy yet. I just wish it was possible to hear all these youngsters live.

3 Likes

Nice one Nick, keep on coming through the door.
You can their not dead the last time I checked :wink:

Incoming reworking of bitches brew. Includes Nubya Garcia, Shabaka Hutchings, Theon Cross, Dave Okumu, Benji B, Tom Skinner and more.

2 Likes

Just watched quickly the full concert on YouTube. Very promising :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m both interested but wary at the same timeā€¦

ā€œReworkingā€ Bitches Brewā€¦hmmmā€¦

3 Likes

Yes, I know what you mean, but I had the same thoughts when I heard about this album reworking In A Silent Way and other Miles music from around that time. But I liked it.

1 Like

I canā€™t remember if I have Panthalassa - Iā€™ll have a dig through my CDs on my days off next weekā€¦

Laswell used Milesā€™ and his bandā€™s recorded performances to make the new mixes/imaginings or did he have other musicians ā€˜recreateā€™ the music? (Which is what I imagine is the case with BB, given the line up).

Reworking Miles from the 70ā€™s, a great and original job:

1 Like

Just ordered: Terrain (Extended) Live in Studio One: An Abbey Road 90th Session (Limited Edition) (Clear Vinyl)

1 Like

Hi @steviebee. Laswell had the original session tapes which is a big help! In my view it would be hard to improve on the originals. In the end, I am glad there are people out there interested enough to keep the music alive.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. Although I donā€™t think of Bitches Brew as necessarily dead or close to, lol. One of the albums for younger people to hear (or even heard of) Iā€™d hopeā€¦and even non-jazzers, perhaps (a bit too spiky maybe. Itā€™s too spiky for some jazzers! :smile:)

2 Likes

Though Iā€™m a huge fan of Miles Davis Bitches Brew just goes way over my head though I did listen to the reworking and itā€™s ok.

Great to know that young people are accessing Miles work through projects like this so in that sense itā€™s very worthwhile.

2 Likes

Bob will be probably happy to order it, and Dread maybe not as thereā€™s some rap inside.:grin:
I couldnā€™t for now find the musicians involved.

1 Like

I am also looking forward to itšŸ‘
I have the ā€žBring Backsā€œ album and I enjoy it every time :ok_hand:

1 Like

for now i enjoyed the 2 tracks available. Shame we have to wait till the April 21 for the full album

1 Like