London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

:joy: to be honest it depends, sometimes its OK but theres something about the way UK rappers deliver their lyrics which tends to grate with me :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

you have one track available on streaming for that album. I am curious how you will appreciate it .

1 Like

How is it? I coincidentally ordered it yesterday 8)

1 Like

Hi @gthack, the pressing is very good though it is from Optimal :blush: They pressed 1600 and sold 1500 for quality control reasons :wink: For a double LP there is a little music on it, but the SQ is very good. I formerly bought records for that price I had to send back. Do what? It is minimalistic but the instruments are perfectly recorded.
Enjoy your copy :+1:

1 Like

I will check it out soon, my system is down at the moment

1 Like

Yes already pre ordered.

Alfa’s style of rap is more spoken word than Ice Cube and suits his laid back music perfectly in my opinion he is a hugely talented working class lad who has progressed from his bedroom to supporting Herbie Hancock.

Much of his work is instrumental with occasional vocals by him and
very talented Kaya Thomas-Dyke whose paintings feature on all of his covers

2 Likes

On Amazon Music there are already 2 tracks available. I enjoy them :+1:

I love his Melange between Jazz, Soul, Rock and Rap. Something like an actual Fusion Jazz. :ok_hand:

On Sunday I played it in a row with Herbie Hancock „Head Hunters“ and Jaco Pastorius (self titled) and It felt that these styles fit together musically. It was such a joy to listen to these 3 albums in a row that brought just an everlasting smile to me. So maybe Alfa brings the legacy of these iconic 70s Jazz Fusion styles to a context to the 21st century

2 Likes

100% agree :+1:
I remember first time when I had 20 I discovered Head Hunters, Man Child or Billy Cobham Spectrum. It was a big big revelation in my life. A big whouah !

1 Like

Super night last night at Shorehams great little Ropetackle Arts Centre.

The first of three initial New Generation Jazz Festival Roadshows. New Generation Jazz is a similar organisation to Jazz Re:Freshed but with the purpose of bringing new Jazz players to wider attention outside of London, particularly in Brighton and the South East.

The first show kicked off brilliantly with a new name to me The Romarna Campbell Trio and a firm favourite with me since her debut album The People Could Fly, Camilla George who played a fantastic set blending Acid Jazz, Funk and Afrobeat style grooves.

@Nick1940 dont know your neck of the woods, you previously mentioned wanting to be able to see some of the new Jazz acts live, so thinking this might interest you.

:heart:

1 Like

In case anyone needs more info (I couldn’t find it at first) it’s called ‘London Brew’ and is out in March.

3 Likes

This is a bit special.

4 Likes

For the fans of Alice Coltrane in 1969-1971 years.

1 Like

Nick’s other recordings Singularity, Ranakpur and Padmāsana are also excellent.

1 Like

I see you posted this nick walters record further back have you vinyl or stream?

Stream, local. I buy no more modern lps today Bob.

I’ve bought a few DOT LP’s and they have all been pretty decent especially the Nick Walters Indian fusion.

I don’t disagree, it’s just that the sound is very similar through my digital rig and Rega P10/ Ear 912/ Lyra Kleos, even slightly better through Nds/555dr/ PhoenixNet / Melco N1z2.
For true analog lps from the 70’s, lp for 100% of the time !

Just the 555DR alone costs almost the same as your complete analogue set up so not surprising your digital set up can sometimes sound better.

My turntable set up is worth more than three times the cost of my digital and so sounds better 99% of the time.

2 Likes

There is a single on Tidal:

https://listen.tidal.com/album/271000964/track/271000967

1 Like

Ezra Collective yesterday - beautiful band, wonderful music, what a great concert!

2 Likes