London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Nice one, where did you see them?

In Hamburg, the venue‘s name is Übel&Gefährlich

The band was so happy to play here, told about their history, different venues they have played before in Hamburg, and some current challenges when touring.

They seemed to like the vibe of the audience, even left stage and played within the crowd. Wonderful.

2 Likes

Moin :blush:
I am sure you had fun👍
I was living in Hamburg and I am always happy to come back for a visit
Will you go the Elbjazz this year?
I was there last year and will return again and combine it with the PG concert the Monday after it :ok_hand:
Alles Gute

You’re right! The pressing and recording are really good! I’m quite enjoying it, despite the relative sparsity :wink:

Portico Quartet, Terrain. Recorded live in Studio One, Abbey Road. I’ve never professed to be able to hear a recording venue acoustic before, but there’s definitely something about this.

1 Like

Great hearing you had a good time in Hamburg :slight_smile:
Elbjazz is on my wish list, hope I can make it!
Cheers

1 Like

Pause Reprise ‘Live at 91’

By [Collocutor

Hypnotising !

2 Likes

I’ve watching the stream on youtube excellent musicianship.

2 Likes

Oh ta, just found that as a result, will give it a watch/listen, cheers

[edit: my BBQs don’t sound nearly as good. Ok, hang drums, beautiful sounds]

1 Like

Kaleidoscope / New spirits of known and unknown
I found it on Qobuz. Will have to listen first to choose some tracks to buy. Lot of known artists from this thread. 3 lp album available too.

2 Likes

I listened to that when it first came out, but it didnt really click with me so much as the still excellent and (despite its age now) We Out Here compilation.

What about Liz Fletcher, We discovered her when we stayed in her Airbnb a few years ago. Lovely lady and great style and voice

Just ordered the 2LP from Bandcamp, in the meantime enjoying the 4 “bonus tracks” that come as a download.

The full album is available digitally but more importantly proceeds from the LP are to be reinvested in The Tomorrows Warriors Trust so a great way to support upcoming artists.

Securing the Warriors legacy and championing the future of UK jazz - Tomorrow’s Warriors celebrates 30th anniversary with release of live recordings of specially commissioned work.

Recorded live at The Jazz Café, Camden – the spiritual home of Tomorrow’s Warriors – across three I AM WARRIOR gigs between 2019-2021, the album features recording of specially commissioned work by some of our award-winning alumni, including Zara McFarlane, Cherise Adams-Burnett, Camilla George, Cassie Kinoshi, Denys Baptiste, Nathaniel Facey, Sheila Maurice-Grey, Soweto Kinch, Mark Kavuma, Rosie Turton, Mark Crown, Shirley Tetteh, Ben Burrell, Binker Golding, Peter Edwards and Femi Koleoso.

The project saw established musicians composing for and performing with the next generation of young jazz talent, creating collaborations that cross over generations of musicians and capture the essence of the Warriors ethos ‘Each One, Teach One’.

I AM WARRIOR is The Sound of Tomorrow’s Warriors LIVE.

Not only is this a fantastic collection of music, capturing the ’lightning in the bottle moment’ of the live performances, but it is also a great way to support us. All the proceeds from the sale of this collectors’ item, limited-edition vinyl pressing will be reinvested back into the work of Tomorrow’s Warriors Trust (Charity No 1153613).

:heart:

1 Like

I will listen to it and share. It’s on Bandcamp ? I had not yet heard the compilation I posted above, so can’t say.

1 Like

Yes. Sorry I should have included the link. There is the full album available as a download or 2LP with the extra tracks as a download.

1 Like

Sultan Stevenson - Faithful One also posted in the vinyl on Pre order hread

1 Like

Alfa Mist - Variables
Release date is 21/04/23 just preordered the limited edition with Art Print

2 Likes

Waaju who released their self titled LP back in 2018 which passed me by at the time

have released this excellent Live EP last year I think

1 Like

Taken from the Band’s promotional

Kokoroko’s first-ever official music video - ‘RAPT’ is out now!
A beautiful short film soundtracked by the ‘Ewà Inú,’ ‘Home’, and ‘Age of Ascent’ from the band’s debut album (released August 2022 on Brownswood Recordings).

The film is directed by the multi-disciplined filmmaker, writer & video artist, Akinola Davies Jr. It re-imagines the music as a soundtrack to a triptych of interconnected stories set in Makoko (sometimes known as the Venice of Africa), a community originally settled by fishermen, excluded from official census records, and under threat of demotion.

Produced by Iconoclast, the production company worked with Fatherland Media and the local community to gain access and provided an endowment to The Special Youth Foundation in Makoko upon completion of the shoot.

1 Like

Hi all,
Not a new one but rediscovered by me recently… mostly UK musos.
Enjoying it at the moment.

Cheers,

Will

3 Likes

David Preston - guitar
Kit Downes - piano
Kevin Glasgow - bass
Sebastian Rochford - drums

ALBUM CREDITS

Recorded at Echo Zoo
(October 5th & 6th, 2021)
Mixed by Tyler McDiarmid