London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Alpha Mist - BC

Loving this from Alpha’s new record

5 Likes

Ebi Soda based in my home town of Brighton are a Jazz Funk Quintet. Taken from their second record Honk If You’re Sad this track Chandler features Yazz Ahmed. Their debut Ugh is also well worth a listen.

4 Likes

New Greg Foat album. But only available in mid June. Lp can be ordered.

Strut presents an exclusive new collaboration between UK jazz keyboardist Greg Foat and Venetian ambient / electronic maestro Gigi Masin on ‘Dolphin’.

Recorded remotely during 2021-2022 the album took shape in the form of mutual compositions, gradually developed and embellished online. Final recording sessions took place at the majestic Chale Abbey Studios on the Isle Of Wight with Moses Boyd (drums), Tom Herbert (bass) and Siobhan Cosgrove (flute, clarinet) adding elements to several pieces. Tracks include the reflective, wistful single ‘Viento Calido’ and drifting ambient piece ‘Sabena’, a beautiful tribute to Gigi’s wife who sadly passed away during 2022.

Greg Foat has recorded prolifically in recent years for Athens Of The North, Jazzman and Strut including acclaimed albums Symphonie Pacifique (2020) and The Mage (2019). Best known for his 1986 ambient masterpiece Wind and as a member of Gaussian Curve, Gigi Masin has enjoyed a revival in recent years through his Calypso album on R&S’s Apollo label and renewed touring. Dolphin represents Greg and Gigi’s first landmark recording collaboration together. “I first heard Gigi’s album Wind in 2016,” remembers Greg. “I was living in Miami and I heard it playing one Summer evening. Since then, it has always been in my mind to be able to record together.”

3 Likes

This album seems promising.

Yoni Mayraz - Keyboards, Production
Eli Orr - Bass
Roy Reemy - Drums
Matan Vardi - Saxophone
Joe Melnicove - Flute
Roy Zuzovsky - Trumpet

2 Likes

Watching Ivymind live in this moment at the Elbjazz in Hamburg. British Klarinettist Samantha Wright formed a real nice band called Ivymind. Very fresh performance on a nice summer evening.

Happy weekend to all Naimers :+1:

2 Likes

Ashley Henry - Beautiful Vinyl Hunter from 2019

I love the freshness and variety of this album. Classic Jazz tunes meet modern influences from all kinds of genres. IMO an iconic album of the actual UK Jazz Scene. A melting pot of fantastic musicians like Theo Croker, Judi Jackson, Binker & Moses, Makaya McCraven, Sparkz, Joshua Idehen and all the others. Such a joy enjoying this record :+1:

4 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Just listening to their track, sounds amazing :ok_hand:
Nice to see, that you‘re back here @Dreadatthecontrols

1 Like

Been away on one of our regular off grid offline sojourns into the Welsh mountains
:heart:

1 Like

:camping: :person_in_lotus_position:t5:

Uh huh…

Not necking down the ale then?

1 Like

Amongst other things I may have sampled a few local brews :wink:
:heart:

1 Like

His debut iirc from 2016…

1 Like

also really good @Dreadatthecontrols unfortunately hard to get over here

there is also a new album, but only via stream, maybe there will be Vinyl soon

2 Likes
2 Likes

I posted this on another thread

….our local newspaper asked the three main candidates standing in the general election what was their favourite album. The labour guy said That’s What I Call Music Volume … The LibDem said Simply Red’s Greatest Hits. Michael Howard (Conservative) said Thelonious Monk’s Blue Monk.

2 Likes

I’m aware of the tune but is there a Monk album by that name?

2 Likes

A strange choice if that is really the one he meant. Live recordings from different venues.

I see that on Qobuz…will check it soon :+1:

1 Like

Like David Cameron saying his favourite is Eton Rifles by The Jam, did he listen to the lyrics? Tw*t :smile: