London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

@AndyP You misunderstood, I was being satirical, never mind
:heart:

2 Likes

2nd Exit Alfa Mist and Lester Duval’s side project has been going for a few years now and though these last two singles are only available on download hopefully and LP and vinyl issue will follow.

I have 2nd Exit’s previous releases and I really enjoys Alfa’s laid back spoken word style of vocals a bit to close to rap for some I realise.

Can’t seem to post the YouTube link but if you Google Ronnie Scott’s Lockdown sessions Ashley Henry you get a full 90 mins of him playing this material. No audience of course but great playing. From memory he has a drummer who looks about 12 dressed in his PJs ready for bed - seriously impressive tho.

Edit - there were also sessions by Camilla George and Byron Wallen amongst others.

3 Likes

First track from Chip Wickham’s new EP on Gondwana released late August.

2 Likes

Not from London but Budapest Jazzbois are a very talented trio best heard live their new record Higher Dimension Waiting Room and the excellent Blunt Shelter Records is out now.

4 Likes

More live Euro Jazz this time from Germany Bird no Bird seem to be a short term off shoot as I can only find this one live recording supporting Alfa Mist taken from the larger group Wanubale (WNLB) see also the excellent Moses Yoofee Trio.

2 Likes
3 Likes

So far there has not been a single bad record released from Yussef’s new record I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on a vinyl copy especially the track with Chronixx.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Good album !?

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Ian
Just streaming the album, sounds fantastic :ok_hand:

1 Like

Very good record.

1 Like

Tom Misch - Geography

I enjoy this one too.
Tom Misch (voc)
Featuring Roy Hargrove on the first track, who sadly died not long after this album was recorded

4 Likes

Today I listened to some of the recent Ezra Collective album which won the Mercury Prize. What I heard was great and quite varied. Some time ago I listened to the previous album, You can’t steal my joy, and didn’t find it very engaging - it seemed quite rap heavy and less jazzy. Is the new album a significant advance or did I just not listen to the first album carefully?

2 Likes

Alfa Mist live studio session.

4 Likes

2nd vinyl edition available from VF

1 Like

I also had the same feeling when I listened to the actual album. It is still on my list for a vinyl buy. But I think I should listen to both albums again to compare.

2 Likes

I think its an uneven record and a bit over rated, we discussed it some time back with @BlueCanary when I posted a first listen of it.

Its a common difficulty I find imo, where many of the hip new Jazz acts make one, maybe two great albums then start to tread water and fall back on tired Hip Hop, Rap, Grime cliche, maybe through fear of losing credibility with the yout dem.
:heart:

2 Likes

Interesting - thanks for the reminder about the discussion above. I’ll probably get the CD rather than the LP.

2 Likes

I saw Black Classical Music pop up on Qobuz the other day and took a listen, I hadn’t come across Yussef Dayes before (don’t judge me X) ). All I can say is it’s a really good album! Listened to it a fair bit since then and it just gets better. I think a vinyl copy is in order!

I suspected it would have been mentioned somewhere on here 8)

4 Likes