London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

2 Likes

6 Likes

Taken from Warriors the 2022 Long Player from Mark Kavuma’s The Banger Factory.

2 Likes

The third digital release in 2023 from Alfa Mist and Lester Duval’s 2nd Exit hopefully there will be a vinyl release soon including all three. More spoken word than rap and musically brilliant all three tracks have been worthy of a physical release so fingers crossed.

2 Likes

The UK scene is doing well! Excellent music here.

2 Likes

Welcome @Kefas and enjoy :wink:

1 Like

Brick Lane Jazz Festival line up for 2024 announced.
Lots of good things to work through here

1 Like

Ishmael Ensemble & Rider Shafique - New Era (Qobuz/Bandcamp)

Nice review on Qobuz

For many Britons, the winter of 2022 may be remembered as one of the most challenging and testing in living memory: ever-tumultuous politics, the harshest cold snap in a decade and a cost of living crisis rivalling that of the 1950s. But through glacial winds and economic strife, the inviolate tenor of New Era shines forth a hopeful, cathartic beacon, as Ishmael Ensemble joins forces with Gloucester-born MC, Rider Shafique. Threading the needle between the group’s characteristically transcendent sound and the vocalist’s poignantly articulated brand of spoken-word, the product cleaves a path through tenebrous soundscapes and jazz-inflected dub and trip-hop. Bandleader Cunningham’s pitch-perfect production and anthemic melodicism traverse all corners of the project, but it is surely the lyrical material which shines brightest. With Holysseus Fly’s vocals taking a backseat for this release, the spotlight is well and truly on Shafique, who urges listeners to engage deeply with themes of existential uncertainty (‘Reasons’) and spiritual disorientation (‘Polestar’). The title track, ‘New Era’ is particularly persuasive, where prophetic notions of revolution simmer above tremulous bass and drone-centric instrumentation. Overall, an intensely moving piece of work – one which will surely resonate with all those searching for some semblance of clarity through such seemingly precarious times. More of the same, please. © Finn Kverndal/Qobuz

Also enjoying the Dubkasm remix of a couple of the tracks New Era and Reasons, also available on Qobuz and Bandcamp

:heart:

1 Like

The fourth single from 2nd Exit and Imaginary Friend which must be from an upcoming and hopefully new vinyl LP.

1 Like

Recently I attended a concert of young UK saxophonist Emma Rawicz. She is very talented and shows her full virtuosity live. Her last ACT album „Chroma“ is good but sometimes a little boring because of some strange „vocals“ added that IMO don’t fit the music. If you had the chance to attend a concert it would be worth a try. Without vocals the music is more enjoyable and shows her talent.

3 Likes

Speakers Corner Quartet - Further Out Than The Edge
2023 Clear Vinyl

Just discovered a London based collective that fusions Jazz, HipHop and Soul. I just love this freshness and the mixture of styles. Enjoyed streaming it and now received the record which is nicely done. Can deeply recommend it :+1:

Just listening to a wonderful playlist on Tidal, called UK Jazz. Wonderful tracks from well known artists but also from some I’ve never heard of. Hope it is ok to post this link?

5 Likes

IAMDDB - Love is War
Via Tidal stream 16/44.1

Just discovered this young lady from Manchester. This album is just so hot, a perfect melange out of Jazz, RNB, Reggae and Rap. So fresh, dynamic and soulful. I just love it, so can only recommend it.

Happy Sunny Sunday :sunny:

Hamish Balfour; Keys
Fergus Ireland; Bass
Yussef Dayes; Drums
Jeen Bassa; Percussion
Reggie Omas; Percussion
Konrad; Percussion

From 2018, but discovered today. With Yussef Dayes

2 Likes

This 10-track album exemplifies Amanda’s talents as a performer and composer, taking in an array of hypnotising sonics from the worlds of jazz; from fusion to spiritual and beyond. She is backed with accompaniment from a remarkable set of players in their own right, including Chip Wickham on flute and PEACH. on vocals. A confident display of purposefully blissful compositions that saunter as much as they soothe, whilst being unafraid to lean into some deep uptempo grooves.

2 Likes

Cracking album I have the original on vinyl but I think they’ve reissued it for 22a’s 10 anniversary.

1 Like

I have this on pre order the other record with Don Leisure who’s also Welsh is a great album too.

1 Like

And very nice cover too :+1:

1 Like

Who is Amanda please?

Amanda Whiting :
From Bandcamp :

« From Wales, land of the harp, Amanda has taken her classical roots and forged a path following on from Ashby and Coltrane.

With albums on Jazzman Records and Albert’s Favourites her latest release is from First Word Records.

“Extraordinary… an astonishing musical mind” Cerys Matthews BBC 6 Music

The Liminality is due out 22 March 2024 «

1 Like