Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

…it will be released as soon as they have all the software fixes in place, then they can focus the development folks back on the 272 replacement… :wink:

3 Likes

So that will be somewhere around 2022, I guess? :wink:

1 Like

We can all speculate on when, how and what a new 272 could be but the truth is none of us really know anything (excluding Naim staff of course). Think Naim aren’t helping by refusing to either confirm or deny it’s replacement. To date all we’ve had is a obscure statement from management that really didn’t say anything. This dead bat approach by Naim is not helping and as others have mentioned some have given up waiting and gone elsewhere.

1 Like

I fully agree and also understand that Naim can’t make any statements because of commercial reasons. However, any ‘heads-up’ would be really appreciated …

1 Like

BTW: can some see the post from Charlie Henderson, referring to the 272 replacement? I’m unable to find it, but I might be missing things …

Thanks, it was in another topic! Unfortunately already from July last year …

Brand loyalty is very strong in the community and for good reason but it reminds me of a large sign at my local car dealer:- “look after the customer or somebody else will “

2 Likes

So they should do what? Release a product that is not ready? Or in a climate they are not comfortable with, if it were ready? Or develop faster than they can?

(And car dealer analogy: So if you want Mercedes’s new SL 500 and they have not released it yet, what then?)

Whatever the product, if another manufacturer offers what you want then go for it.
I used Arcam for 30 years but when I became dissatisfied I switched to Naim.

Yes, if they do. But the fact remains that a car manufacturer will also update a model every 6 or 7 years, it’s just the time it takes, and I doubt that the Merc owners raise a stink every time on the Merc forum. Sorry, but you started the car analogy

Well there are a lot of well respected 272 owners who have chosen a different direction because they were ready to move on but Naim weren’t.

2 Likes

Yes, some, like me (though not a 272 owner before, but considering it), into a direction that is better for Naim :wink:

But this does nothing to address my points. You could say the same if Merc updates the 500 SL in 2010 and BMW updates the 740 in 2011, then Merc might lose customers to BMW at this point. But nobody complains because this is how it is and there is absolutely nothing that Merc can do about it

So allow me to end it.
ATB :sunglasses:

1 Like

I hope they just can’t get it quite right and are waiting until they have before releasing it.

If it was just a case of putting a new streaming board and display in you’d have thought it would have appeared by now, assuming it is coming.

So I am wondering what the technical issue might be and if it is the streamer, pre amp or DAC that is likely to be the most difficult to get right when integrated in a single box?

For me they could off-board the power supply to create room and make it like their other premium pre-amp offerings. That would make a great 3 box system, with a 250. Or maybe they are working on active speakers at Focal and will release both at the same time.

1 Like

The main reason I got a 272 was as a pre amp to go with a 250. The 282,Napsc,Hicap route was to expensive. I’m really impressed with the 272/250 as a amp combo with the CDS3. As a added bonus it has a DAC and give me an introduction to streaming. I would imagine your 272 would do a fine job with the NDX2 if you can get over the 272 has a streamer and DAC going to waste.

As a side note I changed my 1 power line from a xps2 to a 272 which improved things further I believe. As I got it brand new (at half price) it gradually improved over the 1st month of owning.

1 Like

So can I get something clear. There are a host of previous 272 owners who having previously proclaimed the said product as the best thing on the planet have now moved on because Naim haven’t replaced it?

6 Likes

That certainly doesn’t include me, just in case I’m in the sights. I only swapped boxes in order to simplify and shrink the setup - I still feel that the streaming preamp is a great concept and that the 272 is an excellent product and great value too.

I changed setups and freed up a worthwhile sum, and wouldn’t have been in a position to get a new platform 272 in any case. I’m sure it will cost a good deal more than the original model.

It’s not quite the same. Car manufacturers usually say what new model is being developed in advance of releasing it and don’t discontinue the current model before the new one is released.

Naim have discontinued the 272 and have not said there will be an update. We may well see a new streamer pre-amp product. I doubt we will see an updated like-for-like 272.

2 Likes

It’s a somewhat silly analogy, but so was the one I replied to. There is a bit of truth to both, though. While you can assume that Merc will build a new 500, I’m not sure they are making grand promises, nor can you be sure that you will like it. So essentially, if you want to buy in-between their releases, you are still forced to decide between a just-released Audi A8 or waiting for a new 500 that you may not like. Not all that different. I also chose the Merc deliberately because leaders in their markets have somewhat more freedom to set the pace, and this is how it should be. Anyone is free to buy something else, and sure that hurts Naim too, but it is not a valid reason for forcing a product that is not ready.

And I actually applaud Naim’s decision to discontinue. That’s more honest than talking unsuspecting buyers into a frankly outdated model, and if they did we’d get 5 years of whining on the forum about what the 272 cannot do, and “but I bought it in spring 2021 and nobody told me!”

1 Like