macOS Big Sur (11.0.1)

Do you notice any performance issue, as you said everything is emulated by Rosetta 2?

I’ve not benchmarked it personally as I don’t have access to an M1 based Mac. I imagine it’ll be a lot smoother than it was with Rosetta on Intel moving from PowerPC. It’s still early days realistically, the unboxing videos I’ve seen so far focus on games and showing iOS apps running mostly and some specific benchmarking using Geekbench and similar.
I expect most apps will work well enough not to notice they’re emulated but inevitably there will be specific apps that either will have issues or not work at all.
I’m waiting on a new 16” MBP to replace my Late 2013 model and hopefully they’ll bring out a new configurable and higher spec “cheese grater” tower at some point I‘d take a serious look at.

Just placed an order on the Space gray Macbook Air M1 :+1:

2 Likes

As you can see the Naim iOS running on a M1 MacBook Air operating my Qb in the kitchen.

3 Likes

I’ve got a 2013 iMac. Same answer. All Inwant to know is how do I stop the mac from telling me that upgrades are ready for installation which need MacOS 11? I have no desire to upgrade tp a new Mac while the one I’ve got does everything I need.

1 Like

Did you try turning off automatic updates?

You’re quite correct. I’d forgotten to do that. Just means I’ll have to check occasionally for updates to VueScan etc.

I plan to do the upgrade this weekend or next week. Of the things that matter to me, I know there are issue with CollectorZ’s Music Collector app, and they say a compatible version is imminent. In the meantime, I can use the iPad app to add new entries and fill out details later.

Worst case scenario, I still have a 2012 Mac Mini running Mojave in can use.

Why CollectorZ’s Music Collector app will not run on macOS Big Sur on your Mac ?
it is a Intel Mac ?
if so, CollectorZ’s Music Collector app will work like a charm.
if it work on macOS Catalina, it will work same.

if it is a new M1 Mac, it can work with rosetta 2 (use Intel app on new silicon soc it they built in Universal version)
but it can be slower than on Intel Mac.
so they have to make a pure Silicon app to run well on M1 soc.

on a Intel Mac with Big Sur, you can use, Intel app, and Universal app (can be used both on Intel and M1 soc with rosetta)

64bit app only as on Catalina

Here is CollectorZ running on my MacBook Pro 2018 (Intel) with macOS Big Sur

Tempted by one of the M1 Macbook’s.
It will be a big switch over as I’m primarily a WIndows user but Bootcamp doesn’t work on these.
At least with Rosetta, older Mac software should be OK until specific ARM apps become available.
I just have to wait for the shops to open again to go and have a look see. I wont oder online without looking and trying first.

As an aside, the MacBook Pro 16" (Intel) was the top of the range, this time last week, and prices are beginning to ease on them.

Treated myself to one last Friday, and saved a worthwhile amount.

I bought a new (Intel) MacBook Pro last month and after a fortnight updated to Big Sur. I really like it – a big improvement on Catalina, with most apps and programs running much more smoothly – Lightroom and Lightroom Classic in particular. The only prob I hads with HP EasyScan scanning software, which just doesn’t work, but apart from that – and there are workarounds – all is cool.

Yes, I have an Intel mac, and no it won’t work the same as on Catalina that I’m running now. I sent CollectorZ an email, and they said there are some issues with v20.x on Big Sur, including crashes. Here is what they said

We are currently working on a Big Sur compatible version 21.0.

The current 20.1 version is showing some crashes when running on Big Sur, especially when syncing with CLZ Cloud. Other than that, some small cosmetic issues.

I don’t have to rush to upgrade, so I might wait to run the installer. I also want to check on compatibility of some other apps. I’ve been using Macs for long enough to know when the OS upgrade is as significant as Big Sur is, it’s best to tread lightly and check that executable software that matters will work without issues that impede use.

Not a chance I’m installing. This needs clarifying, it basically means you rent the device until it breaks whilst only being able to do with it what Tim Woke says is allowed.

Its the same as Naim allowing what music you play on your NDBlahBlah

It even bypasses VPNs and Little Snitch

yeh sure its “for your safety”

I ended up upgrading to Big Sur over the weekend. Everything went smoothly and all has been running just fine so far.

Before I started I noticed I had far less free disc space than I expected. I discovered a few things while cleaning things up.

• There was over over 30 GBs of log files in Mail, at ~/Library/Containers/Mail/Data/Library/Logs
  • At some point cloud sync went badly with my banking app and I had 1200+ backups of the same file, for a total of about 20 GB
  • Docker Desktop installer by default configured a 64GB container for VMs. I didn’t notice that before and have since changed it to 16 GB and that’s probably still way more than I need. I imagine 4 GB is more than enough for my purposes.

By cleaning this up I reclaimed over 100GB of storage on my 500GB SSD.

Apple addressed some of the privacy concerns. See the last section of this Apple support document

3 Likes

Same happening on the iPad. I run with memory at 14.3 out 16GB. Can’t run any Microsoft Office apps and have to uninstall OneDrive regularly to reduce what it holds. Photos can’t use iCloud Photos because there would be no memory at all. Shared Albums doesn’t give the option to exclude a device such as my iPad. It still hogs 514MB for 12 actual photos!

Yes, I get the impression that Apple think we should buy new kit to boast its obscene cash mountain and annual profits.

And what do they do for COVID Apps - they exclude iPhone 6 and older bought little more than 2 years ago! They also dictate an interface that limits what the Apps can do. The best contract tracing system one could think of would collect enough data to be able to home in on the ghost asymptotic people unaware that they are spreading the virus. Even my much older Samsung S5 Neo supports the App.

Phil

I love Apple products, but it is about time they start charging correctly for RAM (and SDD and HDD’s for that matter), rather than adding massive premiums. That said, I’ve had my iMac since 2009, and MBAir since 2011, and only looking to change them next year - you couldn’t do that with Windows, or if you did, Windows would not be usable to the same degree.

4 Likes

Has anyone had issues with Adobe Cloud apps since upgrading to Big Sur?