macOS Big Sur (11.0.1)

Don’t get me wrong I would buy an iPhone 12, but I don’t wish to change for the sake of it.

We have eight and 6 year old Lenovo PCs with 6GB running Windows 10. 4th or earlier i3 with HDD are slow to startup and update, but run Apps when loaded as well as modern ones. One is going to control my astronomical observatory which is being delivered soon. I bought a Lenovo 9th gen i9 with 16GB and 512GB SDD. It’s starts up in an instant. For that reason I don’t need the iPad for Microsoft Office Apps. Waiting 5 minutes to startup was impossible before, but McAfee have a lot to answer for - it’s free with BT Broadband though.

Phil

I agree it’s a killer, but to be fair, McAfee have a lot to do these days thanks to al the virus’s. Hackers dont tend to write viruses as much for OSX so It helps longevity.

1 Like

If this is annoying, swapping HDD to SSD can be pretty simple. (E.g. Samsung gives you access to a free “copy my windows over” software, when buying their SSDs.)
At least, when you don’t need to replace terabytes of HDD, it isn’t expensive any more and very pleasing, once you got used to SSD on new machines.

1 Like

@fotobrooks – If you mean Adobe CC apps like Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat and Lightroom Classic, I have to say no, they all seem to run pretty smoothly on BigSur…

1 Like

Thank you @PhilippVH. I’ve thought about upgrade vs new. A 4th gen i7 just about doubles processing power at a cost of £300 or so. Memory is relatively cheap. I didn’t look at HDD to SDD. A 9th Lenovo i7 is about £595 in tower form with Black Friday deals.

Astrophotography can be very IO intensive for planetary work. At least 450 MB/sec from video capture to disk.

Phil

Great, thank you. Might push the update button soon. Working from home at the moment, but use my work computer via screen share on our VPN. It can be a bit jerky, especially if someone else is connected to the VPN. Trying to get the boss to upgrade our Adobe to CC as we’re running Adobe Creative Suite 6 and that doesn’t work on my home Mac!

Sure, if you can utilize CPU and RAM upgrades as well, “new” is likely “better”, unless you have a very high-spec old machine.

For e.g. office work or sorting pictures within the capability of an old system, a SSD upgrade does wonders in “reaction times”, when disk I/O is involved. And that’s typical lag on a normal desk environment. (Machines from 2010 latest have SATA, which is sufficient for normal use SSD. They newer NVMe are way faster - but few applications can utilize this. Either heavy throughout stuff or super-intense I/O (like server side data bases and stuff).)

1 Like

Wow! Just got going with the new Macbook Air and installed the Naim iPhone app. WONDERFUL!!! The thing Naim never could pull through Apple now did by changing CPU. If you use a mac and use the legacy streamers like 272, get the new Macbook and be able to control it just like with your iPhone! :star_struck:

1 Like

For anyone with a NAS, or an always-on computer on their network, it’s already possible to control legacy (and new) streamers, by using Bubble UPnP to make the devices OpenHome compatible and then using Linn Kazoo as control point. Not as neat or convenient as the Naim app on an M1 laptop, but considerably cheaper.

Roger

1 Like

The most expensive remote I’ve purchased :sunglasses: Jokes aside, it’s an awesome computer but the upside of having the Naim app on it working great was something very valuable to me (and likely others)

FYI: 11.1 update is out.

Spotify and Tidal both experience from crashing now and then on Big Sur and M1 Macbook Air. Anyone else having same issues? I assume there will be a native update shortly.

I’m using the MacBook Air M1 with Qobuz/Roon, no issues with operation.

Ditto

I just updated my Big Sur to 11.1 and it completely hosed Google Meet for Safari and Chrome. Fortunately, Meet works in Firefox so I installed that.

Everytime I close Tidal I get an error message and asked if I want to report it to Apple. Have uninstalled Tidal and installed again but same thing.

I went for a MBP M1 during lockdown. The only music software on it at the mo is dbpoweramp, Amarra Luxe and Pure Music.
I’m moving over from Windoze so on a rather steep learning curve.
My biggest confusion is all the extra keys and combinations thereof. Maybe I will get there in the end but if anyone could point me towards a decent reference of the above and command line instructions, I would be grateful.

If what you mean by “command line instructions” is using a command shell (like ‘cmd’ on Windows) then MacOs supports all the standard *nix shells (sh, bash, csh, zsh), with ‘zsh’ as the default. New accounts on MacOS are configured with zsh and there is tons of information and tutorials on using it. Just do a search.

1 Like

Yes. Can no longer edit in Camera Raw using Photoshop CC. Naively, I just thought make the move to Big Sur.

I want to go back to Catalina but am unconfident computer guy. Have spent the afternoon googling.

I thought this is fixed with Camera Raw 13.1?