Making way for 500DR

I stand to be corrected here – IIRC, the DR-ing for a 500 is different to (say) a 552, in that the DR components are within the head unit, such that it’s more surgery and replacement than just fitting the usual DR boards in to a PS (which is the usual visual indicator). This means the rear heat sink is replaced – I know not why. This is reflected in the cost, as the DR-ing of a 500 was >£4k???

1 Like

Wasn’t a combined DR and service enforced in just the last few years in which the DR upgrade was offered? Prior to that they were separate jobs I think.

Might be worth a phone call to Naim to check full unit history on file.

1 Like

Yes earlier on DR and Service was two separate things. You could then make a DR without a service. Later it became mandatory to do both at the same time. Not sure which year this was initiated. Years go by so quick but it feels like within last 5years or so?

Service only is close to 2000GBP for 500 today. Or maybe it has passed 2k now. I only have the 2022 price list.

1 Like

I think checking the history with Naim is a good idea. It should have been serviced at same time unless it was serviced before 2016. But you never know.

The DR and service were two different jobs when the DR came out. Then you had to have them done at same time. I seem to remember DR and service of a 500 was about £6k.

1 Like

Yes, give the service desk a call. I have found them very helpful in checking history in the past.

1 Like

Seems like the change was made around 2020?

1 Like

2019/2020-ish rings a bell for me too.

Just checked my pile of hi-fi invoices (ouch!), and my 500 (c. late 2007?) was DR-ed and serviced in 8/2008 for £4900 as part of the twin deal at the time. It make senses to do this, as even a service on a 500 is quite a bit of work AIUI – there were some pics on the old Forum.

When Naim changed the protocol, I think it was timed to recognise that anything going to them would invariably be due a service in any event, noting the twin offer had been extant for some time i.e. there was really no logic in not taking up the twin offer if you wanted the DR upgrade.

As above when a 50p gets dr’ed it’s only the amp bit that gets done, nothing in the power supply change.
The dr conversion replaced everything apart from the main case, the boards are different, etc.
So you have basically a brand new 500 when dr’ed.
When mine got done the power supply wasn’t done, as i checked myby looking at the dates on the capacitors inside the power supply.
But i sent it off along with my 552 when i got that dr’ed. But it’s certainly something to check on them.

I have never understood why Naim stopped the DR upgrade option.

It was explained to you when you made the same comment, just last month.

1 Like

That’s not my idea of an explanation!

It’s all set up now! Sounds good out of the box.

24 Likes

Quite a reserved comment??? - I was expecting WoW!!! (hopefully in a few days)

1 Like

one thing i would be tempted to do if you can…

get the turntable on the left top stack.

52 on the top middle stack, that will leave a nice gap between your nds and pre.

hows it sounding mate?

1 Like

It’s warming up @Ian. Only turned it on half an hour ago :rofl:

It is sounding fantastic! Was quite a mission to set up so I am recovering from that!

1 Like

It sounds massive. Bass is deeper, more slam. Instruments sound more real and three dimensional. Bigger, bolder and deeper. It’s very early days. Was glad to.set it up with no glitches first time round.

2 Likes

mate thats brilliant, its going to take a few weeks at least i think

1 Like

The LP12 was jumping if you walk near it, and I was going to strengthen my subfloor this weekend. However, as luck would have it the extra weight of the 500DR now means this problem has gone!

It’s certainly something to consider and with my layout at beginning of this topic I said I welcome suggestions. The 555PS was on middle Fraim before and NDS on top of left stack.

1 Like

aaaaaah really, it does make sense the extra weight on the rack would help out.

I dont have a turntable but my floor is suspended

1 Like