Making way for 500DR

I am looking forward to blasting the 500DR. I like my music loud and want to see what it can do. Love a bit of jungle, drum n bass and heavy metal. Want my house rocking and neighbours kicking off. Lol :laughing:

3 Likes

So are they floor standers?

yea thats it, they are a 3 way like your sopras. mine are a big bookshelf

4 Likes

Sopra 2s are 4 way. 2 bass drivers, 1 mid and 1 tweeter. The Focal Scala Utopias are seriously expensive dude. Have you considered Sopra 3s? Or maybe other Focal speakers.

Look the more expensive the speakers the better.

I am alright with my Sopra 2s. They are ÂŁ15k speakers and I paid half that for 6 month mint.

Get best deal you can on them.

My way of looking at things is this. If you really really want them. Get them. Don’t worry about anyone else. You only live once. Live your dreams and get whatever you want.

Just do it. Because they are no second chances sometimes.

This is why I got my 500DR. Just do it mate.

i try and have a 6 month rule on expensive purchases, if i still want it in 6 months then i really want it, seems to work for me. have wanted a pair of those for about a year!haha

I have diablo utopia now which is the bookshelf version, used to have sopra 1 which were brilliant but was offered a really good trade in on them against diablo so just did it.

Mate you have done so good with that NAP500, im actually excited for you. its going to be so good that

I have just seen the speakers you want for £21k used, saving £14k. And I bet you could negotiate on price bud. It’s worth doing. Get the speakers and system you want. No compromise bud.

mate iv seen them for that sort of money aswel, my logic is telling me to get to 500 series first so i might do what you have just done and try and pick up a 500 then just go for the speakers

no compromise…your right there mate. as Nike say…just do it

1 Like

Do the same as me get the power amp. Then get the speakers. You can pick up a 552 later. The 500s are going cheap. The 552s aren’t just yet.

The 252 Supercap DR with 500DR sounds really good when I heard at dealers. Their 552 was away at that time and I liked combo.

So many on here say 552 first but if you want to drive speakers surwly the power amp comes first with a great amp like a 52 or 252?

My biggest upgrade was my Sopra 2s. I had 82 at time and the speakers were bigger upgrade than 252.

The LP12 upgrades with tonearm, cart and phonostage were also huge upgrade.

Speakers are a huge upgrade on system. Some on here focus on electronics and see speakers as secondary. This is not the case.

I am very happy with Sopra 2s and they are worthy of consideration in your set up.

This is what im thinking Dan, i think most quality speakers would benifit from a nap500dr, i love my 252dr…its just very picky on setting it up, it took me so long to get right. i used to have one stack of fraim but when i saw your 3 stack that was the point i did two stacks, the difference is big because it allowed me to have everything positioned right. having a gap between nds and 252 was a surprise

you are right on the pricing, i think 552’s might come down in a year or so.

Sopras are brilliant, iv not heard the 2’s but when i had my sopra 1’s especially with quality electronics they were just brilliant

1 Like

I got a great deal on mine in concrete finish for ÂŁ7.5k. Maybe get the Sopra 2s to start with and upgrade to higher end Focals later down the line. Sopra 3s are even beefier.

The Scala Utopias would be better. See if you can negotiate in prices and get them if you can.

There is no right order on getting your kit. You obviously have a system in mind. Get whatever speakers you really want.

I brought my 55kg Sopra 2s into my house by myself. I bought them in Birmingham and transported them in my van boxed. 55kg is alot of weight to manoeuvre.

The Scala Utopias weight 85kg each. Which is roughly what I weigh. They are seriously heavy to move around. They are serious speakers bud. But you will absolutely love them.

He already has Diablo Utopias which are a higher level than Sopra. Although, a bookshelf.

I think theres always a deal to be done mate, its a buyers market.

Id love to buy a pair of Scala’s new and get the service, delivery, setup etc but we shall see

exciting times, lets get back on track with your 500DR!

2 Likes

If you getting the Scala. What color will you be after. The ash gray just looked so sick to me.

Thanks Dan, yes, current system is great, but always looking for the next step. I was in two minds at the time whether to go NC or add a 252 to the 300DR and as you see I went NC. I didn’t even contemplate 500 series though and seeing the prices now, adding a 552 might have been the smart move.

Near term I have some things to do in my room to optimise the current set up and then I’ll consider my options later in the year. Most likely route is to add 2 x 250s and go active with the new Kudos crossover, but who knows. Trouble is I want pretty much every system I see on here :crazy_face:

Wishing you all the best.

1 Like

Just arrived. Have to go to work now!

19 Likes

It’s immaculate. And includes powerline which I didn’t expect. Heavy though!

4 Likes

It is, and isn’t easy on the fingers to grip (watch off time etc). – which is another reason not to put on a bottom shelf. And I always hook up the burndies as I go – and relax them as best possible.

My reco would be to resist the temptation to contemplate changing 'speakers before upgrading a pre-amp (esp. to a 552DR), as you’ll find that the ‘letting more through’ aspect can include much more bass, albeit it’s often tighter – and that 500DR is so different to 135s :grin:

It’ll start out detailed and not very punchy, perhaps have a wobbly few days, and after a week or so just get in to stride, with even more to come :grin:

p.s. Powerlines were standard on later 500 series models

It was a 2000 build? The PL was not included back then since it wasn’t developed yet. You lucky b :smile:

2 Likes

lovely, going to be a slow day at work mate

2 Likes

Forgive the question, but are there DR stickers appended to one of the units (I think the head unit IIRC), as (it seems) these aren’t visible on the pics on ‘you know where’?

1 Like