Making way for 500DR

It isn’t even a sticker. It looks original. Was one of first things I checked. Maybe it is totally new casework?

Apparently so. Looks alot newer though.

1 Like

To clarify it has DR on 500 head unit but it’s smooth as opposed to be being a raised sticker.

Will check again in case I am wrong but I did give it a feel! :wink:

Mine is also a 2000 build and looks like new. I’m guessing the 500 series doesn’t move around that often and is also expensive and therefore more often look like new :slight_smile:

1 Like

So long as it has a DR sticker, should be good - from looking at another one on ‘you know where’ it looks like the sticker is on the LHS (looking from the rear). If you didn’t know, the DR process for a 500 was extensive, with a new rear heat sink too, such that mine came back with some kinda glue/sealant marks on the top line of the casework – nothing to write home about.

It has DR marking on left hand side. I don’t think its a stick as its flush with casework.

The boxes all say DR as well.

Niiiiiiice!

I think we’re all sat here as excited as you are @Dan_M!

Cannot wait to hear your impressions of it later… I can barely concentrate myself, never mind how excited you must be feeling! :joy:

All good then :grin: …with much more :grin: (plural) to come.

Apols for checking but the narratives on some sales sometimes beg more questions than they answer. And on ‘you know where’, the more info you provide/even confirm, the better the prices seem to be.

1 Like

They must have changed it to a new set of boxes as part of the DR upgrade and maybe changed out the back panel instead of adding a sticker. Bonus !

I’m waiting until the sub-£5k ones start appearing. :joy:

1 Like

This was new to me. Do you know why and what difference there is?

I asked them about when it was DRd before I bid. They said 2016. There wasn’t that much information and the photos weren’t clear.

It looks better than I imagined.

It will be interesting to see if they go for less in future. Some are swapping out 500DRs for 350s.

Maybe they like new boxes!

1 Like

I’m sure you’re aware that DR-ing isn’t a substitute for servicing – although with a 2016 DR-ing and noting the age (2000ish?), I would assume (dangerous!) that it had a DR & service together?

1 Like

I stand to be corrected here – IIRC, the DR-ing for a 500 is different to (say) a 552, in that the DR components are within the head unit, such that it’s more surgery and replacement than just fitting the usual DR boards in to a PS (which is the usual visual indicator). This means the rear heat sink is replaced – I know not why. This is reflected in the cost, as the DR-ing of a 500 was >£4k???

1 Like

Wasn’t a combined DR and service enforced in just the last few years in which the DR upgrade was offered? Prior to that they were separate jobs I think.

Might be worth a phone call to Naim to check full unit history on file.

1 Like

Yes earlier on DR and Service was two separate things. You could then make a DR without a service. Later it became mandatory to do both at the same time. Not sure which year this was initiated. Years go by so quick but it feels like within last 5years or so?

Service only is close to 2000GBP for 500 today. Or maybe it has passed 2k now. I only have the 2022 price list.

1 Like

I think checking the history with Naim is a good idea. It should have been serviced at same time unless it was serviced before 2016. But you never know.

The DR and service were two different jobs when the DR came out. Then you had to have them done at same time. I seem to remember DR and service of a 500 was about £6k.

1 Like

Yes, give the service desk a call. I have found them very helpful in checking history in the past.

1 Like

Seems like the change was made around 2020?

1 Like

2019/2020-ish rings a bell for me too.

Just checked my pile of hi-fi invoices (ouch!), and my 500 (c. late 2007?) was DR-ed and serviced in 8/2008 for £4900 as part of the twin deal at the time. It make senses to do this, as even a service on a 500 is quite a bit of work AIUI – there were some pics on the old Forum.

When Naim changed the protocol, I think it was timed to recognise that anything going to them would invariably be due a service in any event, noting the twin offer had been extant for some time i.e. there was really no logic in not taking up the twin offer if you wanted the DR upgrade.