Management speak

In any situation. I’m sorry but’

Because the cretin who utters this phrase is not at all sorry, and is in fact going to follow that phrase with another sentence that is almost certainly the opposite of the sense you have just spoken!

Ditto ‘Im not being funny’ that’s correct you are not, and i guarentee your next sentence you utter will be equally moronic.

2 Likes

Some great stuff here…!

So-ooo glad I am no longer subject to this sort of corporate nonsense… :grin:

4 Likes

It can be great. Still having fun after 22 years in work. I’ve been running word-of-the-week challenges where we try to use certain words in our work. Example: hitherto.

Hitherto the solution was to load the data directly but henceforth we revert to do it indirectly.
Hitherto the coffee was available free of charge.
Hitherto James took care of this but going forward (note mgmt bollocks word) this will be delegated to X.

Great fun.

Our corporate value proposition is

I rather like ‘I’m sorry but’ and use it myself. Much worse is ‘with respect’ which really means you’re talking bollocks.

3 Likes

“I hear what you say” (but I’m going to ignore it)

or

“There may be something in what you say” (but I really doubt it)

6 Likes

I fear you are all getting bogged down in the details. We should all take a helicopter view of the situation.

3 Likes

After all “it is what it is”

4 Likes

see here:

https://takethehelicopterview.com

Or “We are where we are”. That really grates with me.

2 Likes

Or it means that you view the person to whom you’re talking as someone you shouldn’t insult but who you still hold in complete contempt.

2 Likes

One time we had a manage come up with:
“Notwithstanding, we are where we are, but we’re not there yet.”

5 Likes

“I hear what you’re saying.” can also be used in a more affirming way; however, the intonation used has to be right, and it’s not then followed by a ‘but…’ or a counter opinion.

In that use, it can be very constructive.

1 Like

When I started hearing about “big tents” I knew it was time to go. Thankfully don’t need to listen to any more of this crap.

5 Likes

The best explanation of a meeting I ever heard:

This is a sh1t sandwich meeting. You’ll like what is at the front and the end but not what comes in the middle.

What is it comedians say ‘always leave them laughing’ :scream:

2 Likes

This is the way its going, i am the bus driver, you can either like it and get on, or not like it and get on, the choice is yours.

And i didnt make this up!

1 Like

It’s a broad church….oh no it’s all coming back to me :weary:

3 Likes

Did you respond: ‘well I’ll sit back and relax and please notify me when we have arrived’.

I’ve had that busdriver quote too from someone in India. Once it was going nowhere, they added more managers.

2 Likes

At the end of the day it’s all just nonsense :smiley:

1 Like

If that was in an organisation I know well, the said person was gone <18m’s, and left quite a trail of mess to clean up after them – the latter is undisputed BTW.

What is the phrase ‘absolute power corrupts, absolutely’.

1 Like