Mu-so & Mu-so Qb 1st Gen - Firmware 2.0.0 update - problem

Clare I think you are being a bit harsh with the tech museum comment, but I am listening to my scroll wheel iPod as my Mu-So isn’t working and don’t like the silence… :sunglasses:

But regarding your update notes etc just a flip side, so you haven’t done anything other than use your mu-so for a fair while, then you get an email that there is an update for it and the only app you have used for this is on the iPad, it has no updates outstanding, it downloads the firmware no problem and kicks off the install all without a murmer. Plus when I look back at the wording of the email “Please note the new TIDAL implementation is also dependent on users running at least version 5.22 (iOS devices) or 2.22 (Android devices) of the Naim App.” is not saying that unless you are running the latest version of the Naim app (not for your device but generally available) your Mu-So will be stuck in an update loop.

Note the update via phone after a couple of false starts is still in progress.

Steve

Agree it shouldn’t be a requirement to keep watch as the MuSo updates, but for those who run into trouble i would have thought it could a useful diagnostic for the NAIM support team to understand what has happened in the event of a failed update. The app doesn’t give any information on the process after the update file has been downloaded to the streamer.

I have 1 MuSo and 2 QBs, all hard wired, latest app, app left running etc. as per instructions,

MuSo and one Qb updated without any issue, but the second Qb required 3 attempts. No idea why.

Some great advise in this thread, steps and the visual descriptions, all in 15 mins with an iPhone driving things. The key now, is if my dad can follow the process… hi dad if you’re reading this :slight_smile:

You have to do them one at a time. If you try to do two at the same time then one or both will fail as the app gets confused as to which one it’s updating.

Hope all is well over the other side of town?

Best

David

Hi Clare,

Thank you for your suggestions. As it was past midnight in Australia, I turned it off. When I switched the power on today, it connected via Bluetooth and it’s working. The last bit about patience certainly did the trick.

Thanks again.

1 Like

My Qb 1st Gen is completely stuck. Tried to install the 2.0 firmware yesterday. Flashing blue light (updating) since hours now. Removing power or network cable does not help, again blue flashing.

I do use the App 5.22 and I did not keep my App open throughout the installation (I should have done so).

What’s next here to get my Qb up and playing again?

Thank you.

You need to do a pinhole reset.

• Turn Mu-so on using the touch screen rotary dial or remote.

1. Using the Mu-so pin-hole tool, press and hold the pin-hole button for six seconds to reset Mu-so defaults.
    1. The touch screen rotary dial outer ring and light bar will illuminate and pulse indicating the reset is in progress.
    1. After a short wait Mu-so will return to standby mode.
1 Like

Hi I appear to be properly stuck - as when I power the mu-so off and then on the phone app can’t find the mu-so, by the time it does the mu-so appears to be having another go at doing the upgrade.
Tried a few times last night and then again this morning each time ending with a slightly different set of lights but without success - currently sitting in a similar pattern to the above but they are all dim apart from one.
Connecting to the mu-so via a browser shows

Have you tried a full pinhole reset yet (advice in post above)?
Also, is your Mu-so connected via wi-fi - if so, do you have an ethernet cable to hand so you could try it hard-wired? Should be fine on stable wi-fi, but if you have any network issues, these could be contributing.

1 Like

Hi Clare
Just having a tea break so will try at lunchtime once I have dug out the tool and remembered where the pin hole is …
Note: It is connected via the LAN
steve

2 Likes

Got the update completed…I used a different device and it worked first time.

1 Like

We have two Muso Mk1 bought together with a N272, known as QB (Qube) & OB (Oblong)

Our Muso QB mk1 is not asking for an update but OB was so I updated the Muso (OB) mk1 successfully over wifi to 2.0.0
This might help someone
If I go to the app settings menu (Android 2.22.0) and use option: Check for updates it cycles for a while then returns to the setting menu.
Settings>About >More shows streamer version of 1.6.00 (build 6004)

power cycled, and then moved the QB and connected to the router directly … just the same.
Pressed the reset button, waited for it to reboot and then did the check for update, which prompted the update process.
I followed the instructions and bingo it’s working at 2.0.00 (build 6004)

N272 will get updated from 4.6.00 later once I’ve err found the cable.

thanks for the input, which i’m sure may help others .

Re the 4.8 update for your N272 - this isn’t available to download from the Naim website until tomorrow, when we’ll provide full, detailed instructions. Feel free to get your cable ready in meantime :slight_smile:

thanks. I’ll probably wait until Saturday, as I should be resting up before 26.2miles on Sunday

1 Like

Hi all,

I managed to update my Muso1 fine but our QB1 got stuck. I followed the instructions and recycled the power (a few mins) and the progress bar returned to the stuck position. I tried this a few times with no luck.

Now slightly more worryingly a pinhole reset does nothing at all. The device remains on, no change to rotary bar position and no change in pinhole light colour (blue).

I will leave it off for a bit longer but any ideas other than this? I am clutching at straws but a router reboot!?

Thanks
Tremly

Push the reset button harder and for longer….

A router reset won’t help at this stage I’m afraid.

If the pinhole colour remains blue, it means the update is still active.

I would suggest leaving it a bit longer. If still no joy, our Support team suggest you unplug the Qb from the mains and leave it for two hours before trying again. They also strongly suggest you connect via Ethernet cable before trying the update again.

Just did the update this morning and it was all completed and up and running again perfectly in about 15 minutes. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

I have the same issue with my muso. Stuck on blue light and pinhole reset has made no difference.
I’ll try again tonight when I finish work with Ethernet instead of wireless.

Do also ensure you’re following all the other key guidelines:

• This update is only for first generation Mu-so and Mu-so Qb speakers.
• Ensure your phone or tablet is running the latest version of the Naim App – that’s version 5.22 (iOS devices) or 2.22 (Android devices) or later.
• Your Mu-so or Mu-so Qb needs to be on the same network as your phone or tablet. Wi-fi should be fine, though a direct Ethernet cable connection gives greatest stability.
• Open the Naim App and choose the Mu-so or Mu-so Qb to be updated – please note, do not try to update more than one speaker at once.
• Click on the ‘Cog’ icon on the top right of the screen, which will take you to the settings menu.
• Choose ‘Check for Updates’ from the menu, which will show Firmware 2.0.0 ready for download.
• Keep the App open throughout the whole update process. If you close the App, you will interrupt the update, which will not complete.
• Finally, be patient – this is a significant update. Depending on your network set-up, it could take anything from 10 minutes to an hour.

1 Like