NAC 282 added to SN 2 .....for a home demo

A bit off topic…can you add an additional subwoofer to an SN2?

I have a 282 powered by a 200 DR and it sounds wonderful. While there may be a HiCap DR in my future, I don’t get the sense of something missing when I’m listening. To the contrary, the core Naim musicality shines through.

2 Likes

I’ve got the HiCap already actually, and NAPSC… So actually, it would just be the 282. I was thinking more of a power supply for the NDX2.

It’s funny because I remember you guys, Pete, Mike, Seakayaker, when you were firmly saying that you don’t see reasons to move from SN2, or 272 for Pete.
It’s the problem of the forum, too many temptations.
I had 282 and 252/ 250.2 before. I could have easily stopped there. It’s the best Naim for money.
Congrats you all so.

5 Likes

When I did this I went 202/HiCap DR/200 to 282/HiCap DR/200. I later changed the 200 to 250DR.

Both changes were large, the 282 was the bigger of the upgrades.

Beyond this I went 300DR next, then Supercap DR and then 252. Out of these last 3 changes the 300 was the biggest difference and surprisingly the Supercap the smallest which goes against what I expected and probably most on this forum!

I would upgrade in this order again.

2 Likes

The 282 must be the sweet spot. Best bang for your buck in the naim NAC range? Surely?
Upgradable if you want via a HC or two or even a SC. But the SC is just there to lure you to the 252. Yes, it might be better but it ( and its required SC) is a whole load more.

1 Like

Bought carefully secondhand, worth every single penny :wink:

1 Like

Of course!

Ok, after a few days of listening after adding the 250 DR there is definitely improvement in the sound. The soundstage has improved, the bass has more grip and the detail and clarity has improved. Still early days and more music and albums to be played… It is a keeper and will not be leaving that is for sure.

…as a side note there were a couple of piano pieces, no I cannot remember the album, but did catch my attention the percussion, detail, separation and decay in the notes just stood out and had not experienced anything like it with the SN 2. I always think I’m going to remember but at my age I should take notes but somehow I just keep smiling and listening.

Well, another side note, I would like to say that the SN 2 is a wonderful integrated amp and brought nothing but joy. If the time comes and I need to move back to a smaller box count I would not hesitate to go back to a Naim Integrated amp.

When adding a 282 or 250 DR to a SN 2, I do not truthfully know which would bring the biggest improvement. I added the 282 first and the detail and improvement was immediately evident and profound. If the 250 DR was added first the impact may have been the same. However when the 250 DR came the SN 2 left with dealer and no testing was preformed with the SN2 Pre with the 250 DR.

So if others head that way in future they may have the opportunity to test both at a dealer’s shop once everything opens back up. I know adding the pre-amp to the SN 2 was very worthwhile and a positive impact for me.

…so for now I’m going to keep on playing music and let the 250 DR settle in to the system and do an update down the road.

One last side note, my wife asked that I do not take the rack any higher, she likes the look of the fireplace with only a four stack in front. So I will be looking for two smaller isolation platforms to place a HiCap DR and two NAPSC’s. One for each side of the rack, so let me know if you have any suggestions/recommendations. Thanks…

10 Likes

Thanks for posting! I bet your ProAc’s are even happier now.

1 Like

I guess this also rules out a 300DR for the foreseeable future… :wink:

2 Likes

…yes, that would require a windfall of cash of some type that could enable a larger house! Since I do not buy lottery tickets and do not expect any inheritances I would need the wind to literally blow the cash in my direction… :wink:

2 Likes

How does the headline setup sound compare to the built in headphone jack that was in the SN2? Not that I plan on upgrading anytime soon… :slight_smile:

…the Headline is an improvement in sound with the dedicated headphone amp and NAPSC. The volume is manual control vs via a remote device or iPad is a small inconvenience but I am quite happy with the Headline 2. The unit was used and the price was convenient and the does meet my needs, so I am quite happy!

1 Like

I’ve had more Naim amplifiers than I can remember, starting with a 42/snaps/110, way back in 1983. Since then I’ve had a 32.5, 72, 102, 82, 202, 252, 122x, 552, 250, 150x, 200, 250.2, 300, 250DR, 300DR, and various power supplies. On the integrated front I’ve had a Nait 5i and very briefly a Nait 1. I’ve always been slightly dismissive of the integrated amps but last year ended up with my current Supernait 3. But I have to say that I’ve been bowled over with how good it is. It doesn’t have the heft of a 250DR or 300DR but coupled with suitable speakers it’s a delight. The source is where the music comes from and no amount of amplifier can provide what isn’t there in the first place. People put a lot of money into their amplifiers but possibly their importance is overrated.

Anyone thinking they are slumming it with a Supernait and feeling that they are missing out by not having a pre-power really should not worry. You can go to lots of boxes and spend a fortune. You’ll get more but it’s really not that much more in the scheme of things. The SN3, and presumably the SN2, which I’ve not heard, really are a heck of an achievement.

15 Likes

Wise words of wisdom.

1 Like

I feel much better now thanks :sunglasses:

3 Likes

All user experiences here with various Naim amp combinations are unique. All are perfectly valid, no right or wrong. It’s what works best for you in your system and to your ears at a cost that is comfortable to you.

Since the OP has upgraded to the 282/250DR which are the same amps that I own, I’m not surprised with the improvements gained from the previous amps. Just let the 250DR run in for a while and the sound will open up and improve even further. In my experience the 250DR will take a considerable period of time to run in and sounds its best.

I’ve said this several times throughout the years which may have irked users who use other amps. :grin: You will get more with higher level amps but the 282 is really quite capable, giving you a small slice of high quality sound at a modest outlay. Now, SN3 users will now come and reclaim that throne…

1 Like

For me the separate Naim pre/power amps bring something that the integrated amps just don’t deliver, and that includes the SN2 and SN3. Good though they are if you want a single box, I would take a 202/200 or 152/155 in preference, in the right system. Others might disagree, and that’s fine.

2 Likes

I had no intention to upgrade but with retirement and a fixed income looming I decided to do it while I can. It’s true I was happy waiting for the new 272 but I eventually gave up. Part of any upgrade would have meant get this gen streaming abilities (Qobuz etc). The dac in the NDX2 is much better than the one in the existing 272 and I’m very happy with the result. The 250DR/NDX2/525 combo works well together IMO, even the fussy volume on the 252 is becoming less of an issue.

Also my dealer (Harry at Audio Genesis) made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

3 Likes