NAC 72 or Hi Cap

AFAIK - any 3 series boards will work in a 72 - N, E, S or K. But they will work better if a HiCap is connected.

I would think that E boards are relatively rare - and quite specific. Whereas N boards are common & can be used with a huge range of cart’s.

I used to run with S or K boards, when I had Linn cart’s. But the replacement cost (of the cart’s) made me re-think - and I decided to revert back to using N boards, to allow wider choice going forward. Using a DV10X was sort of obvious, as thats what I had used prior to switching to a Linn Asak.

Ian the only problem I have with using the N boards is when switching from vinyl to digital and forgetting to turn volume down. Sound wise I’m more then happy with the 10x5 into the 72.

Pardon… :upside_down_face:

Occasional surprises can be good… :laughing:

Nearly blown the tweeters a couple of times. Was even worse with the XS and a remote. At least now I’m usually stand next to the pre :joy::joy:

I forgot - there is or was, another fix for this. Which is the V board - a variable gain board for the 2nd Phono input on a 72 - which ‘tamed’ the output of a CD player.

I had them in my first 72 - worked well IMO. But I believe opinion is that there was too much high end filtering - and a ‘direct’ connection was preferred. But then you get a volume jump…

What…?:sunglasses:

Heard the same about the variable boards. But that’s the beauty of the Olive pre swapping boards without having to change whole unit

3 Likes

And swapping is not too difficult to do. On a 72 or 42 (in my experience) and I assume on a 32 or 62, as well.

The 5 series boards fit in a different way and are more tricky (IMO) to fit or remove.

YMMV - as always… This is the Internetz… :expressionless:

Well it looks like the 62 won’t be going anywhere now. My daughter has just informed me she wants a turntable based system in her bedroom when we move next year. So looks like I’ll be looking for a 140 now :man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

2 Likes

If you only have earmarked funds for 2 units it might be worth speaking c Darran about whether he thinks you’d be better off getting the Hicap and 180 done now and leave the 72 for later…

I believe that NAP’s and PS’s are considered the higher priority to get re-capped/serviced… :thinking:

1 Like

Not got the Hicap yet. It’s the lingo and 180 that’s going to Darren first. 72 will follow if I get a Hicap before then that will have service before the 72. @IanRobertM is right the NACs and Power supplies are always the priority

Which is why I posted :roll_eyes:

@Svetty - I am agreeing with you… If thats OK…?

So was I :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Those would be the NA328 boards; they had variable sensitivity and filtration which made the harsh bright sound fo early CD players a bit more palatable. They are now not recommended, particularly with a modern digital player as they will adversely impact performance.

2 Likes

Richard, as far as I understood the first CD players like the Philips cd100 have a quite mellow sound. How does that relate to the required extra filtering you mention?

Reason for asking is that it is on my wishlist to buy an old player to go with my Nac 72.

The Philips was one of the few players that was like this. Others sounded like a bag of spanners, many being quite bright or just somewhat fatiguing. I still have my original mint and boxed Hitachi DAD-1000. I love it for being just about the first player to make it to market in the UK (I still remember well my excitement at trying it the day it arrived at my local Hifi emporium), and that wonderful door and window that allowed you to see the disc spinning. It’s a weird old thing though, being both a bit flat and dull on the one hand, and a bit harsh, bright and fatiguing on the other. It basically embodies everything that was wrong with CD sound in the early days. An early Toshiba that’ also in my collection of early CD players was even worse, although mercifully perhaps, it has now given up the ghost.

One of the nicest old players that also played nicely with Naim kit was the Mission DAD7000R. And I also like my CD74 - built like the proverbial tank too! However, if I were looking for a classic player of reasonably price to go with the NAC72, I’d be looking out something like a Naim CD3.

3 Likes

Thanks Richard. I would prefer an old Naim CD player indeed, having the Philips dac / mechs, but they are not on the market as often as Philips players. It is quite easy to get something Philips in the Netherlands.

Once I get a player, it will appear on the forum for sure :slight_smile:

13 year old children should never be allowed internet access.
She’s just told me she googled naim and turntables and speakers. She now wants a LP12 like mine and then asked about Kans. :man_facepalming:
Told her I was thinking cheap as in Rega thinking she wouldn’t know that make. Oh no doesn’t like the look of them. She wants vintage looking :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

She’s showing signs of impeccable discernment and good taste…

2 Likes