NAC282 Dual Hicaps

Not so much a rethink, rather that your posting was ambiguous. I now see what you meant - that the 2nd Hicap was connected with a 5 and a 4 pin snaic. As this is the standard way of connecting it - and hence wouldn’t ordinarily need stating - I wondered if you were suggesting that one Hicap was connected to the 282 with a 4 pin snaic, the other with a 5 pin snaic which is an alternative interpretation of your post consistent with your wording. No idea if this works…

Thats cool, then. :sunglasses:

Fairy Nuff, to the Seller. Did the right thing - albeit at the 2nd time of asking. Had you not been knowledgeable… :thinking:

Hmm… The only confusion could be me calling it ‘HC #2’ (c. 1990, 65xxx) - by which I meant my 2nd Real Olive HC - rather than my 1st originally CB, now Olive HC, aka ‘HC #1’ (c. 1986, 28xxx).

Currently HC #2 is installed as the ‘Signal HC’ - which is HC 1…

Meh…!! :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

I think Naim started supplying the Powerline Lite as standard with Classic series in 2017. HCDRs pre 2017 would have been supplied with standard power chord.

Thought it was about then. Both my HCs are from 2020. One new, one pre owned.

Possibly a good time to remind some members that there’s an FAQ with a thread on SNAIC ID…

……also that on the old forum Steve Hopkins did a very useful guide to what leads and other accessories are supplied with all Naim kit. Perhaps an updated version in the FAQ would help?

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=1566878604301792&coid=159503632588890

I think so. Early days with mine are very pleasant :sunglasses:

1 Like

That is a very informational thread! Thank you.

Olive SC arrived a bit after lunch, replaced the HC-DR on my Olive 82. Only managed to listen for about 5 min before jumping onto a conf call. Now I don’t have the golden ear like some of the members here who can hear nigh/day difference by simply re-arranging stacking order of their gears, but even to me the SC is a huge improvement over the HC-DR on the 82: sound stage width/depth increased, music is more relaxed but at the same time more impactful when called for, but what impressed me most is the organic, analogue like sound! Very happy with the upgrade.

1 Like

Glad to hear your report. I’m always wondering if a supercap olive will provide better result than a modest hicap dr. Thank you,

Conscious bias is always at play. You like what you have spent money on. But if you like it, so what?
I’m sure if I had a 555psu or SCDR it would be better than my xpsdr or dual HC. Proper blind testing would perhaps give us a different answer. Being an engineer I always want to know why something sounds better. As you’d expect, the designer would want to know too.

1 Like

Works both ways, if you really don’t want to spend the extra dollar, surely you can convince yourself the uplift isn’t worth it, you cannot hear an uplift, or you look for others opinions that concur with you.

Very difficult and I suppose the only real way to make a decision is to listen yourself in your own listening room👍

1 Like

Has just arrived and plugged in to warm up. Can’t wait a full 24hrs for warm up time but 4 hours should suffice. I will start doing the comparison tonight. While I was waiting for an SC2 to arrive for a loaned test, an SCDR came up on a popular auction site for 60% off, and the seller had 100% positive feedback since 2004. I made an offer and DONE! Great seller, and shipped to me in 2 days! Will post opinion tomorrow.

Scott

I really wouldn’t post the serial number or some clown will be reselling it tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks HH, totally forgot, always appreciate your help and knowledge. Hope you are well sir.

Scott

Please let us know your findings, it will be very interesting.

Hmmm

As usual - all this talk about amplifiers without context to which sources being used

A 282 with a Supercap fronted by a chord mojo will sound inferior than a 282 with a single Hicap fronted with a chord Dave

It’s more useful (to my wallet) to mention sources used and also to think of the money used as a amount taken away from a source improvement in my humble opinion

I have to agree but the gentleman concerned has a similar front end to mine that is why I am interested in his opinion.

Recently I had the pleasure to hear a top maxed out source with Naim 552/500dr

No further upgrades possible ? Right ?

Welll… actually not…

The interconnects from source to preamp !

One of them sounded broken, one of them was fantastic.

I won’t get into which cable sounded better and which one worse but only to illustrate my earlier point of Context

The source to preamp interconnect is quite crucial to hearing that all important, source !

2 Likes