NAC52 and POTS8

I know that - remembered your post. Have one in discussion from a very nice guy. Must give him a call some day :grin:

1 Like

I’ve only met nice Naim owners, it’s usually a joy connecting with them and sharing music and hifi experiences.

1 Like

Will drive to Berlin on Saturday for a Fraim - very nice couple. Looking forward Meeting them. Also here in the forum - same effect :slight_smile:

1 Like

Berlin! I should go there again. It’s been pre corona that I jumped with kid 1 in the car to drive 6 hrs to watch the Berliner and drove home again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any more news on when the POTS-8 will be available?

They are now available.

7 Likes

That’s great news. Thanks for letting me know.

If you own a 52 and have not yet done this upgrade, you should.

You’re worth it.

2 Likes

Or an 82… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My 82 is 170xxx, so well after POTS 8 came in… :crazy_face:

Sorry, I completely disagree –both with the main point, and in being so offhand with people.

There are plenty who just listen to music, not obsess with the kit (whichever brand).
This is the kind of kit that makes it onto the s/h market, where it might be snapped up by some who does care about maxing out their new-to-them purchase.

Or the music-loving original owner goes to a dealer after 3 or 4 decades asking about new kit, and the dealer suggests a service, etc.

Good for you. Unfortunately, the offhand bit is something you’ve read into my post. It’s an occupational hazard in online forums you know. :wink:

The real point I was making is that (IMO) manufacturers should not be expected to churn out spares after so many years. Happily, the POTS8 board has turned out to be easy to produce and supplies are now available. Not so happy are Naim speaker or some cd player owners :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

The POTS8 board was designed by Naim and made by them, with probably just the PCB itself being sub-contracted out. So it was probably relatively simple for Naim to make some more… :thinking:

Not necessarily the case for other items, such as CD mechanisms.

1 Like

Thank you. And of course apologies if I misread you.

Serviceability. My first error was when Naim announced that they’d run out of spare mechs for the CDS (my lifetime cup, I’d hoped), a bit panicky that I might be left with a useless unserviceable lump, I went to a CDS2 which I didn’t like as much, yet here we are and Naim has bent over backwards to strip and repair CDS mechs to keep them going. (As it happens, my old CDS is still absolutely fine a decade or more later.)

But it feels a bit like old mechanical cars vs new computer controlled.

The 272 continued as a product longer than the same generation ND5XS and NDX. I will have been one of the latter people to buy new. Under 5 years old. But Naim has run out of motherboards and the motherboard is unserviceable if it fries. I’ve been thrown back into 'prospect of useless lump territory again.

I’m delighted to hear that the POTS8 board is available again! For 12 years I had an 82 which I adored (oh why did I get rid?!) and remember the difference the POTS8 upgrade made (from POTS3 iirc). I might think of a s/h 52 now… Back to olive, with a Classic streamer.

3 Likes

Great to hear that the POTS8 board is available again.
I understand it is used by the 52 and 82 pre-amps. Is it also used by the 252 ans 282 models?

Thanks for this question. I was just wondering the same. I have very little meaningful knowledge of what’s actually inside my 252!

I do not think so… :thinking:

@Richard.Dane @NeilS

(The 252 & 282 both came after the 52 & 82, so I expect they would both have POTS8 or their equivalent.)

They use similar pots (ALPS Blue Velvet) but I think the actually board itself itself is different.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard …

OTOH, It’s good to know that if I ever get around to changing my 82 (POTS8) for a 52**, then I’ll be able to have it upgraded!

**Olive rules :laughing:

7 Likes