NAC82/ NAP200 - HiCap or don’t bother?

And will the HC «suffer» in the delivery of power to the 82 by connection to a sub the right way?

Loaded with a resistor - Naim used a 100R in their sub lead.

1 Like

I reckon that driving a sub at low level does probably impact performance slightly. When I experimented with this using the n-Sub (at no volume) against no connection, I tended to prefer the latter. It wasn’t a night or day difference though, so whether you will notice is hard to say.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. Any subs you guys prefer more, using DIN—>RCA? It will support Dyn Focus 160.

I reckon it’s best to go high level taking the feed from the speakers. The Naim n-Sub is a good one - a proper Naim amp too.

How do you feed from the speaker really?

You connect from the speaker’s terminals. Sometimes easy, sometimes not quite so straightforward if just 4mm sockets (you’ll need to get the soldering iron out then). You don’t need any fancy cable as it’s just reference signal. We used just thin Chord Leyline which is nice and discreet.

In this picture of the n-Sub inputs which was posted on the forum, you can see the three inputs; High level with the 4mm sockets, pre-level with a pair of RCA Phonos, and LFE for AV on a single RCA Phono.

So normal speaker cable - black and red - from the speaker terminals to the terminals on the sub? And some switch to choose level at the sub, I reckon?

I’ll have a look. I guess the N-sub is rather rare to be found. But I’ve read good things about REL as well, in regards to high level connection. Any experience?

I once had a REL Strata. The n-Sub was way better, especially with music. A long time ago though and overall I tend to prefer listening to music without a sub.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input. Have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Richard.Dane - Ok so if driving a sub from the socket 3 of a supercap using a slugged interconnect is worse than connecting the speakers to the speaker level inputs of the sub, is the chord leyline soldered onto the Naim plugs along with the NACA5 at the speaker end? Or are there other recommended ways to connect both to the SL2 crossover inputs?

Yes, when we ran the n-Sub for Music we soldered the Leyline into the NACA5 cabling at the speaker end. We looked at other solutions but ultimately soldering in was the best solution.

I’m interested in the other solutions you have tried. All the things I tried do not really work with the SL2 crossover and the need to put the speakers close to the wall. In fact I think they were partially responsible for a solder joint on the crossover breaking that was easily fixed by re-soldering.

Hi again all,

I just installed the HC, and MAN the system just got a shot of testosterone. So icredibly potent, way more than I expected! And any past eight o’ clock is way over talking levels. More like over yelling levels.

BUT! When I play at 8 ‘o clock a «hissing» sound occours. A bright and ugly sound that is disturbing every other sound. It is not present at all at lower levels.

Anyone with a clue? Can it be so that the Dyn Focus 160 reaches their limit at this levels with all the power it’s fed?

Thanks.

Thomas

By the way, I connected like this (used the 90, 140, 180, 240 connector).

Just checking the basics first.
Are the cables genuine Naim and oriented correctly? The cable marker ring should go to the 82 for the 5 pin, and to the Hicap for the 4 pin one.

Hi Guinnless. Thanks for your reply!

Yes. Proper Naim cables.

By «go to» i reckon that equals «closest to»? The plastic marker is closest to the 82 on the 5pin, and closest to the HC on the 4pin.

Thomas

That’s correct :+1:

My 82 was powered by a Hicap (Chrome bumper) for a while and was really good so yours should be too.
What type of HiCap is yours and has it been service in the last 10 years?

Hi,

Yes, I put the cables the way you described.

Did you see my added pic above? I put the cable where it says 140/180 and so on. That should be right with my 200 yes?

It is a Hicap 2, and serial number tells me it’s prodused in 2007. I will get it serviced, but my dealer recommended me to wait alittle due to hellova lot to do over at Naim these days. He also said it definetely should be fine alittle longer due to 15 years intervals on the black boxes.

Thomas