Naim app on ipad

You seem a very unpleasant person.

As you have fibre to your house, have you considered running fibre all the way to your ERs?

You could have an all optical route from the Qobuz server to your switches.

I very much doubt that any router has an optical output, so as a minimum you would have copper Ethernet out to a media converter before connecting to a different type of optical to the one that comes into your house.

You’re entitled to your opinion.

Back to the questions you raised:

1 You can configure to control the amp volume from the streaming device remote.

2 I too have experienced dropouts in the app and while playing music from the streamer. These were caused by the router, which was supplied by the ISP (so probably pretty cheap and low quality). Buying a decent router fixed it and also generally improved my home network.

If you investigate these two options, you’ll probably find they fix everything and then you’ll have the same good experience from the app that most others do.

Regards, Ian

1 Like

@JimDog The fibre comes into the house but the only connection on the fibre box is for a copper Ethernet cable to go to the router as far as I am aware. The fibre box I have is built onto the wall and is pretty decent size with a separate big battery back up box as well! The router is pretty good actually and I get the full 900+ speed on download and the upload is also very fast. I have zero problems with anything else in the house everything works like a charm but the Naim App still is not great via iPhone which is what I use 99% of the time.

I also have the cables to the lounge wired internally in the walls so where the router and fibre boxes are there is a patch panel that the router connects to. This would mean at best I could probably only run fibre between the 2 ER’s and from the patch panel in the lounge if I connected a suitable switch into this socket first.

1 Like

I have to second the OP: The naim app is crap!
Sorry for harsh but blunt feedback: Lousy, unreliable app-technology, cumbersome UX, permanent glitches, weird and really bad GUI, missing (state of the art) features, poor development/release improvements and too long release-cycles - all in all simply unacceptable!

All my repeated efforts to support naim Product Management respectively with honest customer feedback and deep dive UX (starting many years ago already with early HDX sufferings) were in vain and bring frustration to me every day while listening to top SQ out of these black boxes but with inferior handling only…

And naim will lose a lot of the next-gen customers who are used (and addicted) to „apple‘s way of handling“. Hope naim will learn and improve this app-quality asap!

1 Like

The OPs complaint was largely related to a networking issue that he was able to identify as being caused by a wireless access point, so I’m not sure that your issues are in line with his at all.
My experience with the Naim app is that it’s not perfect, but I certainly don’t recognise the long list of issues you mention. For me it’s generally reliable, and it does what I need it to do pretty well.

2 Likes

100% agree Chris, not perfect could be improved but it’s generally reliable & it works well for most people most of the time.
Fix the network, don’t do crazy stuff, keep it simple & it’s a good’un.

1 Like

… why sugar coating inferior handling quality?
At this top price level - and even with our obvious ‚naim-infection‘ (in positive sense) - one can hardly ignore daily operating annoyances for basic features and behaviour. No matter if network issues or glitches causing this…

1 Like

Sorry, but thats ridiculous argumentation - if you spent 100K on eg. a luxury car but its radio-hifi system would offer faulty and inferior audio handling (without doing ‚crazy things‘), would that also be acceptable for you…? Hmm, think about it!

2 Likes

I think Mike’s point is that if your home network was working properly you wouldn’t have these problems with the iPad app.

It’s not Naim’s fault, in the same way it’s not your car manufacturer’s fault that it feels bumpy if you drive your car on roads full of potholes.

Best

David

3 Likes

The top of the Aston Martin car uses a Mercedes screen board which dates from before 2010.

Conversely, spend 100k on hifi (eg 555/552/500/core/SL), but not interested enough to make sure the network is up to scratch so it works properly?

Isn’t that a bit like running your 100k car on remould tyres?

1 Like

The app is very sensitive to the quality of your home network…Apple stuff just works no matter what your network is like.
I did some research and made a couple of upgrades and for me the Naim app is rock solid.
-Opening the app, it always goes straight to the last room and in 1 sec even if its the next day.
-I get the same performance on my ipad and iPhone, even though the iPhone is 5 yrs old.

I think the look of the app could be more dynamic but I have no complaints about its reliability and speed!

1 Like

What app are you using, as it can’t be the same one that’s on my iPads and phones! Seriously, I don’t recognise any of what you’re ranting about. I’m able to start browsing my 4,000+ CD collection within seconds of picking up my iPad. I tap the screen 4 or 5 times to get to my chosen point and the music plays! What else does the app need to do? What am I missing? Whose app does it better?

1 Like

That is not my experience of the Naim app. I’m not sugar coating anything. As I said, it’s not perfect, but for me it is generally reliable and has a good range of features.

Thanks David, that is/was one of my points.
Sorry not able to reply in person, maybe not sorry, the night out was something else in this CV madness.

With a core one is not fully dependent on the network quality - and the app is still the pain …

Glad that you are a happy app user and enjoying the current capabilities. But imo for example: switching the input source makes the current sampled track queue disappear… mixing core and Tidal playlists not possible … try to easily select and delete a larger number of tracks out of a (long) playlist … deleted tracks remain/appear again in playlists but other tracks disappear randomly … tidal integration is lacking tidal features (eg. recommendations, videos, genres) … no time indication in app … no font size or background colour adjustment possible … screen positions of buttons/symbols for volume ± >> << etc. too narrow and mistapping very often … tbc

Ah. Playlists…

1 Like