Naim CD Player Trade-in Offer, the details thread

I would guess that Naim would consider that to do that sort of thing right means spending money and adding cost (ergo the DAC-V1’s Audiophilleo USB interface) for something that few if any would use. If you wanted to do it then just buy a separate USB-s/pdif interface, which is likely the best bet anyway performance-wise.

Update, just bought the pro version. You are right, brilliant value :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Actually I’ve never heard the opposite, hence I need to try one of these, below €200 can’t go wrong really.

Ultra out in a couple of weeks or so :wink:

Yes I have been eyeing that, there seem to be more options in this box, for me the streamer section should better Pro/Pro plus, if to be considered.

I could buy one for around £3.0 k…!!!

Which is why buying one for £4.5 k makes no sense to me.

3 Likes

So if I had an olive CDX, I would be able to trade it in? That’s what the list currently states. Seems a bit arbitrary to accept the CDX, but not the CDS II, which postdates the CDX.

While there might not have been a player officially designated CDX2-2, I’m pretty sure that the CDX2 was revised during its lifetime. I found an online What Hi Fi review from 2010 that states:

Naim’s modified CDX2 now has an electrical digital output, and remains a very talented performer

And I’ve seen the revised version unofficially referred to on this forum as CDX2.2:

Some users like new.
As opposed to something 3 years old.

Just personal preference, I guess ?

2 Likes

Just reality - Less (cost) is more in this case, for me.

New Is Overrated… but YMMV…

(all of my ‘new’ purchases, in recent years, have been definitely in the Cheap Seats… such as an additional Isoblue shelf and a Grahams Hydra - nothing Naim)

1 Like

Looking at what you can buy, then is it more trying to get rid off old stuff about to be discontinued?

3 Likes

Ian, I actually agree with your sentiment :+1:
I’m more prone to buying things for less, not more

I was just offering a thought, as you said…

We’re all different. Some like new. That’s all.

2 Likes

Yes the CDX2 received a big revision - much more than just an s/pdif out. However, it has always just been called the CDX2 (apart from on here).

As for the CDS2, maybe Naim will try to reserve what VAM1205s they have left (if they have any, of course) to keep them going?

There is a lot of debate on this thread about the merits of used vs new. My concern is that if we do not support dealers, where will we be when we need them?

Because of disability, we need a lot of dealer setup support. Used, unless it is from our dealer, is not a viable option for us.

9 Likes

Similarly for me, lifting a 555PSU myself is not an option(!), fortunately @Cymbiosis go far more than the extra mile for me!

4 Likes

It looks that way.

Linn abandoned it in November 2009.

DG…

2 Likes

Regarding Naim giving up the CD format “altogether”, if that were the case, why would the CD5si, still be a purchase option? A more accurate view might be that Naim will continue providing for a format, as long as there is some repair prospects. In order for Naim to abandon the CD format they would also need to abandon the CD5si.

Naim currently have 2.5 CD players for sale.

Cd5si is obviously 1 of the 2.5, Star as the second whole number and Core as the half?

2 Likes

Pray tell me more Jamie - the Wiim can be used in streaming only mode, bypassing the DAC, but optical input is only up to 96Hz? I’m a huge fan of my Qutest, so how does the built-in DAC into your Nait 50 compare with Qutest?

@Eoink I am talking about stand alone CD players. I don’t count Star in that category. Only the CD5si.