Naim CD Player Trade-in Offer, the details thread

My CD5 si went last week, a shame there is no digital output, as they have around eight streamers I suspect more than one person would like to attach their latest generation streamer to a Naim digital transport.

I am using my CDX 2.2 …

1 Like

That sounds promising. I know it is a bit of a risk but I have recently bought a CDS2 + CDSPS in good working order, hopefully for a decent length of time to come. I have an ND555 and considered the Audiolab 9000CDT but still couldn’t resist!

Shame a DVD5 isn’t on the list…

1 Like

Since this CD-player trade-in offer seems driven by a spares shortage, and the offer doesn’t cover the CD555, I’m going to adopt the optimistic view that there are still spare parts available for the CD555. :thinking:

3 Likes

I received an email from Naim today, about this… :thinking:

Almost word for word with Richard’s original post.

Also emails from a few dealers today. Today must be the “general” announcement date.

Tom Tom etc.

There are.

2 Likes

CD5 playing Tom Petty tonight 8)

5 Likes

Breakdown?
Change of Heart?
……or maybe Time to Move On?

1 Like

A compilation actually

Through The Years.

Oh… X) A Change Of Heart I think :wink:

1 Like

Looking lovely there.
I’ve always loved the look of Naim CD players. Never owned one though. :+1:

Does anyone have any experience of using a Unity Core , do you fit your own SSD or is it dealer fit ? What is the sound quality in comparison to a naim CD player etc ?
Looking to part ex CDX2

I think it can be either option. My dealer supplied and installed a hard drive on the Core he sold me.

The Core is a music server, so not directly comparable to a CD player. If used with a good streamer/DAC then it is very good. In the Naim range, matched with streamer that is in the equivalent range as the CD player, it’s probably better. So, if you used a Core with an NDX2, that’s likely better than the CDX2.

1 Like

You can fit the SSD/HD yourself - it’s very simple. I’m pleased with mine but there are some limitations with the way it acquires meta data and how it can be edited. SQ mainly depends on what it is paired with.

So long as you can operate a screwdriver then it’s easy for just about anyone to fit the drive of your choice - it was designed to be done by the customer.

I use a Core with a Naim DAC (via BNC DC1 coax cable) and very good it is too. You can take things even further with a Hi-line interconnect, which works well with the DAC. And also you can add either an XPS2/DR or 555PS/DR power supply to take things to the absolute limit. It also acts as a server for other Naim streaming units in the house, which is nice.

1 Like

fitted my own hard drive to my Core, and it works faultlessly. I am something of a technophobe too, so it must be a simple job to fit if i can manage it.

1 Like

Fitting/changing the HDD/SSD is really straightforward. The core with my NDX2 is better than CD in my previous CD5xs/Flat Cap 2. The one drawback I’ve found is copy protected CDs. They are tiny in number but they exist and they don’t rip.

Your best bet with Copy Protected discs (short of finding a non-copy protected version) is to try ripping with a computer using either EAC, DBpoweramp, or Apple iTunes/Music. One or other of these usually does the trick, although you may need to switch off error correction or run in burst mode. Then just store the ripped tracks in an album folder with cover art and place either in the downloads section of the Core, or, as I do, keep anything that’s not ripped by the Core itself in a separate USB hard drive attached to the Core’s rear.

However, this is all probably worthy of a separate dedicated thread, so apologies to those wishing to discuss the trade-in offer.

Thank you for the advice. I need to buy an external CD drive for my wife’s Mac Book & give that a go. I should say the problem is minor as only 1 or 2 of the CDs I can’t RIP are not available on Qobuz.

I use a Core with an nDac and it’s superb

3 Likes