Naim Certified Refurbished

Hi, I have seen several dealers selling “Naim Certified Refurbished - Grade A” products but they only seem to come with one-year warranties. Does anyone know if they can be registered for the extended warranty in the UK?

Thanks

Andrew

Don’t think they can. And they are assigned a new “00” part number often ending with A/B/C so they will be known as refurbished units.

Thanks. Any idea what the situation is with ex-demo?

Ex-demo units are just stock that has been used by dealers for demos and then sold on at a discount. They can be registered for an extended warranty.

Graded products are different from ex demo, I believe graded by Naim factory, some I have seen at my dealers come with a 5 year warranty. Grading areas may include slight case blemishes, factory repaired units etc
They can represent a good deal, especially with Naim’s service/warranty back up.

Hi @Naim.Marketing hope you’re ok! Can you clarify please on the graded units, are they being incorrectly advertised with 1 year warranty?

I have a Grade A ND5XS2 which had a standard 2 yr warranty from Hifi Corner in Edinburgh. Registered it with Naim and it got the extended 5yr warranty so could have been a system used as a demo or at a show and not registered previously. All refurbished models as I understood it come with a minimum 2yr warranty

I am getting gospel handed down to me as we speak… back shortly.

1 Like

Here goes! And please read carefully, as almost every previous answer in this thread is WRONG :slight_smile:

All new product comes with 2 years manufacturer’s warranty and this starts on the date of the customer purchase.
In the UK (only) this can be extended to 5 years if the product(s) is registered within 6 months of customer purchase.

Demonstration-stock units are slightly different in that the 2 year warranty clock starts ticking the day we ship to the retailer - these units are not eligible for the extended 5 years warranty. Any of the 2 years that is left to run when the retailer sells the demo unit on is transferred, but can not be extended.

Warranty for Graded or Naim Refurbished stock - Mu-so and Mu-so Qb = 1 year; Everything else = 2 years

5 Likes

Thanks Clare, I remembered there was something about shipping date being a start date for warranty but not the circumstances.

@Richard.Dane might be a good “sticky” thread?

Claire, as robert_h has indicated, can you confirm the serial numbers indicate exdemo and refurb. :+1:

I’ll post something up. Of course, this is for the UK, other countries may differ depending on the distributor’s warranty terms.

2 Likes

Refurb, definitely yes they (part numbers) are reassigned at the factory. And the box gets a new label, showing the new part number which has a description with “graded” in it.

Ex dem no the part number doesn’t change.

Serial numbers don’t change in these circumstances.

1 Like

If I buy something ex-dem from a dealer and register it with Naim, how does Naim know whether it’s ex-dem or not? Presumably it could have just been dealer stock.

1 Like

Shipping date in the system, you can see when and to whom it was sent.

Naim would know they’d shipped a unit to a dealer, but would they know if a dealer had used it for demos or not?

Normally you ask for a 282 and they order one in for you. Ex dem they would have had it for a year already.
Brand new untouched unopened sat in a box for a year in the storage room, I guess it could happen but not often. Perhaps the dealer would need to speak to Naim to confirm that’s the case.

Of course, you’re right, dealers almost certainly won’t have a pile of 282s or 252s sitting around in their stock rooms!

To further clarify:

@raym55 Serial numbers stay the same - so we can track a product through its lifetime. The only thing that changes is the part number - you get a letter on end (A, B, or C) to denote the Grading category.

2 Likes

Part numbers change Clare! Never the serial, I know that bit.

Updated my original post.

1 Like