Naim Chrome Bumper

Welcome to the madhouse Richard.

By early next week I should be halfway there. (A third if I’m thinking about a HiCap :laughing:).

Back in business after getting the hicap repaired.

14 Likes

I have a recently serviced NAC42 that works very well with a NAP110. At some time in the foreseeable future, the NAP110 will need to be serviced. In the meantime, I would like to run the NAC42 with a spare NAP250.2.

Can I use a SNAPS or HiCap to power the NAC42 and connect it to the NAP250.2?

If yes, which is likely to be a better match, particularly with a view to using the power supply with the NAC42 when the NAC110 returns from being serviced?

Will any SNAPS, NAPSC or HiCap (CB or black box) work with the NAC42 or is there a combination to avoid? My preference is for a CB power supply.

Either a SNAPS or Chrome Bumper HICAP should work very nicely with a NAC42.

The HICAP is arguably superior to the SNAPS on the single rail output, and definitely superior on the dual rail output, should your pre-amp be able to accommodate that.

I take it yours is the NAC42 and not a NAC42.5 - If you’re unsure, check if it has the .5 update which would be a 240 DIN 5 fitted with link plug on the far right.

Note that if you are looking for a secondhand CB HICAP, some have their single-rail output disconnected when they are factory serviced. This gives a performance improvement on the dual-rail output, and brings it into line with post '93 HICAPs when the single rail output was dropped.

Thanks for the very quick reply, Richard.

My NAC42 is definitely the non.5 version. Does that mean that it will not work with a HiCap that has been modified to disconnect the singe-rail output?

Unfortunately, I do not have a manual for the NAC42 and none of the connection manuals that I have found on the Internet specifically mention the NAC42. I have only found connection diagrams for 32.5, 42.5 and more recent models. Do you know where I can find a NAC42 connection diagram?

Many thanks,
David

It can work, but it would need a bit off an odd SNAIC, the 5-4 SNAIC, which would probably need to be made up to special order.

Speaking of SNAICs, it’s very worthwhile upgrading the original grey SNAICs to later black ones. The locking Preh DINs can still be used, they just need to wound back all the way. Just be careful with fake “SNAICs” - see the FAQ for more details;

1 Like

NAC 32.5 just back from Sheffield (Class A) where Darran has done an excellent job as usual. As well as a full service he changed the BNCs for RCAs and fitted a green led to match the NAP 140. Just warming up but sounds great already.

37 Likes

Love that!

I really love those small box CB models. Was following a NAC62/NAP90 pair on eBay but never plucked up the courage to buy for my second system (just bought a Nait XS2 for my main system which is great).

If buying, what would be the best combo to try to get (would want the half size boxes)?

Brian.

1 Like

@Musicianandteacher when you say the best…

Nac62, HiCap, Nap140, Nat01

3 Likes

62/140 is classic. Others may say 42/110 although I like the 140 better than the 110

3 Likes

I moved the office system to the bedroom. The Nait 2, Mojo, Tab 10 Signatures are a tremendous combination. Now that the system has more space it is sounding even better.

24 Likes

Nice CB gear, but best NOT to stack Pre & Power together better to keep them as far as apart as the snaic cable will allow.

V_R

Hi V-R.

Thanks for the advice. I did know but I was playing around before I had the time to rearrange stuff. Waiting on a platform for the Rega to the left (140 stole it).

Cheers

17 Likes

Brian

You missed out on my lovely CB!

Never mind.

1 Like

Was it yours the pre/power pair?

Did someone buy it?

Yes it was mine. It is now boxed up and sold.

You missed out!

1 Like

Snarfy
What stands are the ProAcs sitting on?
What are you feeding the Mojo with?

Best
Gregg

It will no doubt haunt me :disappointed_relieved:

What did you replace them with (or are they one of several setups?)

Go up the thread 5/6 posts. And then 6/7. You’ll see.

1 Like