Naim Chrome Bumper

That just looks like an interconnect cable to me, not a SNAIC. Google for images of the back of a NACNAP/HiCap.

3 Likes

Yup… :sunglasses:

Ok, then the description of the ad is wrong.

‘SNAIC’ is perhaps a misunderstood term… :grin:

But the grey Naim 5 pin DIN interconnect is no slouch…

Genuine Naim leads also have a small sleeve / band at one end of the cable to indicate the signal source end. A pukka Naim black SNAIC is a good improvement over the original grey one and well worth the outlay as it is critical to the performance of the preamp.

2 Likes

See the FAQ on SNAIC and interconnect ID…

3 Likes

According to JV, differences are mostly just down to inputs and facilities.

2 Likes

A Naim backdate!

Just received my replacement woofer for my intro!
Will be able to use them again, after waiting more than 2 years to be able to find out one to buy!
Naim doesn’t sold it anymore, like the woofer for the SBL, i just get the confirmation from support by email.
Need to change it now and test it, i hope he is working fine.

7 Likes

On the subject of SNAICs again, always wondered what the difference is between these two latching cables. I think the thicker one came with my NAC12 or bolt down 160 and the thinner came with a 32 but not 100% sure. I had always assumed they were original Naim - hope that’s the case.

Anyone know if they are they typical of each period or were just slung in? And was it typical of dealers back in the day to mark up the thinner one somehow - mine has red paint on the preamp end?

Thicker:

Thinner:

1 Like

The upper picture appears to show what I know as a Grey SNAIC - the original version (pre Black). Seems to have all the hallmarks I would expect, of a Grey SNAIC… :slightly_smiling_face:

The lower one could be a Grey/Lavender Interconnect (not a SNAIC) , maybe…?

2 Likes

Thanks Ian.

The bottom thinner cable is grey although it doesn’t look like it in the phono. I’ve had a couple of these pass my way and wondered if it was a cheaper version for the 42 / 42.5 / 110 range. I did compare them a couple of years ago and preferred the thicker one but it was only a subtle difference.

1 Like

The thinner grey/lavender was the cable used, before the SNAIC was introduced. It wasn’t a cheaper version - it was the standard cable. AFAIK… :thinking:

I had one like that with my 1982 42/110. I bought a Grey SNAIC as an upgrade, in 1985… :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Ian - makes sense.

1 Like

No prob. I think the Grey SNAIC was ‘new’ in 1985 (or a bit before). I bought a Black SNAIC in 1999 - again AFAIK it was new then (or thereabouts).

Just change the woofer and it is working perfectly ! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Starting to look like Christmas (a bit).

14 Likes

Cards AND tinsel - Smashed it! :grin: :grinning:

1 Like

Reflects the year really. More going up today as my daughters are now both home (always been their job).

Did the AV2 sound better, iwcdoppel?