Naim Chrome Bumper

I thought the first question had been asked before but I can find it on the forum.

What year was the early SNAIC4 with latching deltron connectors introduced?

What year was the original Naim 4-pin latching interconnect introduced? I’m assuming no earlier than 1974 when the NAC 12 was launched?

IIRC the SNAICs appeared around the time the HICAP was introduced.

1 Like

I bought my (1st) HiCap in 1986 and I am sure a Grey SNAIC came with it.

I bought a Black SNAIC, as an upgrade, in 1999 (it was only £50-00).

2 Likes

This is from forumite “Murmur” in a thread from early 2021.

Linn Kan 1 - Superb rhythm/timing/resolution/coherence. Requires solid rear wall. Limited bass so best used in a small room. Age and tired drive units are a concern. Very much voiced for vinyl source, especially pre-Cirkus LP12. Tried 3 main combinations of Scanspeak, Hiquphon and KEF drivers. The ultimate Marmite speaker

1 Like

Thanks IDAK.

Kan 1s vary quite a bit. I have an early and a late pair that sound very different. The early pair I bought from the Kan 1 designer and the late pair were used every day since new so they are both ‘good’ pairs.

The Nait / Nait 2 can sound great with Kan 1’s and really boogie but ultimately most owners end up wanting more oomph and move on, myself included. Fine as a stop gap though. 42/110 is probably minimum entry point for Kans to get long-term satisfaction. I’m told that Kan 1’s were initially developed with a botldown 12/160, subject to ageing memories, which is a very nice combo but they are hard amps to find nowadays.

Phil Hobbs was mostly responsible for voicing the Kan 2 and no doubt used Linn amps by that point. Kan 2’s seem to be holding up better and sound more consistently alike. Not sure if that’s the components or just that they are a bit younger.

3 Likes

Chrome-bumper Headline!!! (Fascia is a work in progress, checking position of logo, LED, etc…). Just got to do something about the knob…

Any tips for getting it off…? The screw in the centre doesn’t seem to want to come out…

And now?

TomTom has my order. Just need a shoebox streamer/DAC now. The Nait 50 is unheard of course but I don’t think Naim will mess this up.

2 Likes

Like so many here I was sorely tempted to order a Nait 50. I have no use for it, it would just satisfy an itch to have some CB gear on display as I love the design. Not the best of reasons for quite a lot of money.

So, just ordered on the Bay a Nac 42 in good condition for just over 10% of the price of the new Nait. It will never be used but will sit proudly under my 252. How sad is that lol!

7 Likes

You are beginning to understand my hoarding tendencies. :rofl:

1 Like

Don’t start bruss! Next you will be telling me to add a HC/140 for a second system…

1 Like

I may already have one too many 62/140’s. Just one more hicap to complete that wouldn’t be noticed by Mrs Bruss surely?

The 42 in the flesh…

11 Likes

Looks clean and white logo. :+1:t2:

1 Like

There is nothing wrong to liberate an orphaned 110 which is currently stuck on an attic of a fellow hoarder on this planet.

Do good, give this 42 a new soulmate!

2 Likes

I think the 42 just needs a 110 or 140 to make the aesthetic right, and will be useable as a system if ever needed in an emergency :grin:

3 Likes

@Ardbeg10y Now you lot are ganging up on me lol. @bruss the white screen print is my fave making the Nait 50 even more desirable. This should fix it though.

My home is very small so no need for a second system. For multiroom I simply open the lounge door…

2 Likes

Now all you need is a NAP110 and you are done

1 Like

Interesting about purchasing a chrome bumper item for aesthetic pleasure. I am considering the same, but I know I will add a front end and some speakers as I’ll want to hear it. But there is something about these units, especially the shoebox ones that I find strangely alluring. So perhaps a 32.5, HiCap and a nice 160?

Tim

2 Likes

So glad it’s not just me :joy:.

It’s such an iconic design, a little bit of Naim history and a 32 would have been perfect too. Have been thinking about it for years and at about £350 not too much of an investment. Camera collectors do something similar so perhaps it’s not as strange as it seems…

2 Likes