Naim Chrome Bumper

The bolt down is very lush as you say. Lovely midrange but not as punchy and snappy as the 110. My 160 in extruded casework is quite different to the bolt down so don’t be put off trying that one day if one pops up. It’s voiced more similar to the 110, not quite as tight sounding but fuller and has more grunt. Which will work best on your setup only you can decide. Enjoy the journey and if you can afford to hang onto both then I would. Always handy to swap around if you make other system changes or perhaps one day you would like to build another system.

1 Like

Yes it s quote easy Todo. I have done that with mine, with a shucko plug.

1 Like

That is the BD 160 that sold on ebay recently in Seattle?

Yes, that’s the one. Sold on Monday. They had an even earlier one last month. Sounding lovely, though after living with my wonderful 110 after seven years, taking some time to get used to all of the extra bass! Kind of a bargain for $506 (after tax) if you ask me. Does appear to have been (at least partially) recapped at some point. They also had a nice looking Olive 180 that went for $645 right after. Hawthorne typically like to have their used Naim inventory recapped and then charge a premium for them, but they’ve had some stuff going through they must just want to move due to the COVID situation.

It was in 120V, you are in the US ?
I think it was possible to convert it to 240v.
Based on the photo i am not sure it was serviced… or as you said only partially.

Charles, that is exactly the experience I have recently had going from a 110 to a BD160, more bass and a more sublime, relaxed sound. It is the most unNaim amplifier in the series that I have heard!

1 Like

Yes, in Seattle. Ten minute drive for curbside pickup.

ah so lucky ! Enjoy your 160 :slight_smile:

I also think so, and the 160BD is better for listening instruments and vocals than the 160CB in my opinion.

The 110 is a great lively jazz amp, but the pace can get tiring after awhile. The 160 BD is a nice wash over you experience while losing none of the Naim liveliness. Listening to some Bach violin concertos this morning, something I normally don’t do, and was just taken away.

There is currently another one available on ebay, a 160CB.
Very rare to find, and it seems to be in perfect condition (execpt it needs a service).

The old boys are back…

All my Olive gear (52/Supercap/135s)are boxed up ready to go back to Naim next week.

So, out from the garage come my 1985 32-5 (serviced once, last century iirc), my 1985 hi-cap (never serviced), and my 2nd hand 140 bought in 2009 (history unknown).

These have not been powered up since maybe 2015. Guess what? No humming, clicking, popping noises, just unbelievably good sound straight out of the box.

This combination was, for me, the ultimate sweet spot in the Naim range in both CB and Olive iterations.

PS sorry about the crap photos :unamused:

17 Likes

How does the 32.5/hicap/140 sound in your system, compared to the 52/Supercap/135s?

Without going all “hi fi critic-y”, it is like the bigger rig writ small. My listening room is only 12’x 10, so the 140 does not struggle for power. As I say, the Naim essentials are there, but in a smaller scale. It is more difficult to delineate individual instruments and the bass seems more wallowy and less distinct.

Having said that, I am delighted in how good it all sounds given that none of the components had even been powered up for more than 4 years, let alone been serviced.

Interestingly (?) I felt that CD reproduction was better than that of vinyl. I don’t know why, but I have always had a high regard for the capabilities of the 52s inbuilt phono stage: perhaps the 32-5 is just not as good in this area.

Not much if a review or comparison, I’m afraid, but it has reminded me how much I liked listening to my CB system in the 1980s and 1990s

5 Likes

I appreciated the way you described your experience. Thanks. I certainly agree about the CB systems. I like listening to my CB system too. There is something quite musical about early Naim systems.

Looks awesome and definitely not modest.

1 Like

Sitting here listening to Walt Dickerson’s vibes here on the BD 160 this morning and it’s just brilliant. Got a modern tibia power cable to work on it and the slightly shut in midrange aspect of the sound has gone. I have a Sean Jacobs Powerblack cable on the way with proper bulgin connection - cost more than half the cost of the amp! - but should hopefully take it even further. My current thinking is no need for a recap for the foreseeable future. Loving it!

Now if I could just get the family out of the house so I could get some more listening time in…

1 Like

ahaha, this is exactly the problem with a good system, not enough time to listen to music :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Re the olive 180…that would be me. :slight_smile:

NAP 160 seems to be very highly regarded. Had I thought I could place into an olive case, I might have went for that one. Glad you got it!

That looks awesome, very clean look – would love to have this in our bedroom. No doubt the easy-to-run Tablettes are a great choice for the little Nait! [What are the stands you are using?] But my wife barely tolerates the Muso QB for the occasional, night-time use… :frowning_face:

9 Likes