Naim Chrome Bumper

Hubris…

The NAP90 developed a fault almost immediately after I posted this. Left channel distorted and then dropping out. I know what it is. The horrible speaker sockets soldered onto the main board. I could get it refurbed but I have ordered a CB NAP250 and HI-Cap from Tom-Tom instead!

1 Like

Unfortunately, these sockets absolutely require the use of the SA8 speaker connectors if cables like NACA5 aren’t to put undue stress on the socket and hence the solder joint to the board. It’s a relatively straightforward fix though. Did James take the NAP90 in p/x?

I have used various cables with the NAP90, the latest with Naim speaker plugs (see posting about NACA4 copies). No, didn’t think about trading it in! What a numpty.

Never mind, it’s a fairly easy fix.

Yes I have soldered them back on the board a couple of times. Don’t need to bother now I have a 250 on the way. Be interesting to compare the NAC42/Hi-cap/250 to my NAC-N272/XPSDR/NAP250DR.

1 Like

Arrived today…

49 Likes

Gorgeous, just gorgeous!

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Maybe someone on the forum can answer this question. Some CB NAP250’s, like mine have an orange logo and some white like my 42/Hi-Cap. It doesn’t look like nicotine stain but deliberate. Anyone know why?

Light causes it to yellow. It should be white really.

On some CB fascias from certain years (1985-1986 seems to be most prevalent) the silvery white logo and type tends to go a golden colour with light and time. Some will have been changed for later fascias which don’t show this issue. Not just because of the colour change to the fascia but also because these particular fascias got quite brittle too and so they are very easy to chip or crack when sliding the sled in or out of the sleeve. My own CB NAP250 from 1985 was very golden brown and had a chipped fascia so when I had it serviced at the factory I was lucky too get a new replacement fascia fitted at the same time.

1 Like

It doesn’t look unsightly, very even colour. It has also been serviced by Class A in June. So I shall enjoy its uniqueness!

IIRC, the fascias that Naim had were done by Darran - very good too - so he’s probably a good one to ask should you wish to change it. IIRC , it’s usually safest to leave the old fascia in place and just fit the new one on top. It does however require the on/off to be refitted.

Very nice indeed - loving that LP12 combo and CB on the Isoblue! There’s still something very desirable about a vintage fluted afro LP12. I had a Grace 707 arm on my Rega Planar 3 and it was a superb arm in its day. Lovely set up.

Yes a vintage classic. I will need a new cartridge sometime but what will be a good replacement I wonder? The Valhalla in the Sondek decided not to turn off for some reason. Eventually it did turn off after a lot of “pecking” at the power button.

None more gold? NAC32.5 / NAP110 of 1988 vintage.

They’ve been in the family since 1990, but spent most of that time with my brother as I embarked on various upgrade schemes. Reacquired them a couple of years ago when I found myself temporarily Naimless (and pre-acquisition of my current 272/XPSDR/250DR).

For the record, I’m hereby self-reporting to the Serious Naim-Crime Unit. A while ago I convinced myself that the chrome bumpers were looking a bit outdated – and so I painted them black. Luckily, good sense soon prevailed and the offending black paint was removed before any public outrage could occur. What on earth was I thinking?

17 Likes

For me it is the only plinth! I have no LP12 yet, but my wife and I agreed to buy one with a fluted plinth once we reach a certain financial savings milestone.

Easeback, your NAC32.5 and NAP110 have got me puzzled; Are you absolutely sure they were built in 1988? I ask because the NAP110 ceased production a year earlier (in 1986 the NAP140 had arrived), and by 1988 the NAC32.5 would have a green LED and the later knobs with knurled edges.

1 Like

Agree, a fluted afro (or walnut) are just timeless finishes, although I do have a real soft spot for a black ash LP12 and would find it hard choosing between the two.

Very nice!

My office is a bit of a vintage den at the moment but think I’ve finally settled on what I’m keeping.

In addition to this there is a 110 with Class A and a Nait 1 in main system with another LP12.

1 Like