Naim Chrome Bumper

I discovered older Naim boxes 2 years ago.
Now I own a 32,5 + 250, and a Nat 101, in my S2.
And I love it !

A pity it’s not in the same location, with my S1 being dumb these days…

1 Like

So nice, waouh ! Beautiful, so hard to find… Sounds like they are in perfect condition. :heart_eyes:

Ever tried a 72 Guibo?

Really enjoying this thread. More pictures please?

1 Like

Well, in fact not a real one, but a 32.5 with NA729 (instead of NA324), which maybe sounds like a 72.
72 is Olive, until i moved to 52, i was only tryng CB.

Another thumbs up or the CB 135s
Had my first pair in 1989,
2004 saw me develop into a 6 pack which continued until the last year or so, the last pair went back in May
The 52/PS & 6 x 135s is a formidable combination, I had this driving Briks and then DBLs
At the end I was using the 6 pack with an LP12 way beyond Klimax level, a very high end Phonostage and 552DR and they delivered a phenomenal sound
It’s also a compliment to these amps that I’ve only ever considered the 500 as a worthwhile upgrade and these command a much more serious level of commitment

Lyndon

2 Likes

Ok. Yes a 32.5 with 729 boards is similar, but there were quite a few other changes with the 72 with better grounding and layout for one. A 72 sounds quite different to the 32.5, and has similar attributes you are describing with the 52 but to a lesser degree.i like both the 32 and 72, having a unique skillset each one…

2 Likes

Some lovely kit on this thread. CB was where i came into Naim ownership and so to me it’s always been my favourite look. There was nothing like it at the time (ok you had the Onix and Incatech amps that had a similar form factor) and it still looks fine today. I still have my CB140 which i bought 31 years ago and i’d always wanted a mint Nait 1 which came into my possession a year or so back when a suitable one appeared for sale. I still have an itch for a classic 32.5/Hicap and a pair of 135s. Classic Naim SQ aside, it just looks so good…

Anyway, to keep with the pics, here’s my Nait

35 Likes

One of my NAC32.5s has the NA729 boards and it’s a lovely pre-amp. One big advantage of the NAC32.5 over the NAC72 if you’re a vinyl user is that the former has a mono switch, which was lost with the 72.

2 Likes

My 32-5 had 729 boards. I only sold it because I had to have a Pre with a remote. :neutral_face:

I love servicing these old units, such a sense of gratification knowing how pleased the owner will be when they receive their pride & joy performing beautifully once again.

Here are some pics of a rare NAPS I did a while ago:

This was partnered with a NAC12 which was returned solo & serviced previously, unfortunately the NAPS was faulty due to old age & prevented the owners rejuvenated preamp from working.
Hopefully all is well now!

Regards
Neil.

18 Likes

2 x Nap135 + Nap160 + 2 HC when i was testing active with the 32.5BD

17 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response Guibo. Sounds like quite a journey. Bet it sounds great.

Not sure you would think all that much of the NAC12 based on your comments about the 52. It has a very flat soundstage and I’m very aware the speakers are generating the sound. Whereas, my NAC 32 makes music that floats in space like a cloud, more so than my 32.5. I never experienced such a difference like this between two components before, even with the same cards.

I have BD 160 too and, like you, thinks its fab. It gets a few hours use each day. Interesting to read that the CB one had more power.

2 Likes

Interesting… The 12 and the 22 are two preamp I would like to listen, as I think pre is doing a lot of the job in the rendering.
The 160bd and the 160cb are completely different inside. There is clearly a gap in term of power to drive the speakers. To get a correct balance on the naxo I had to put the CB on the HF, pot at 1/2, and the BD on LF pot adjusted at around 80%. This is probably the best sound i get to play instrument like guitar (paco de Lucia etc…).

Guibo, AFAIK Naim made an adjustment to overall gain around the time of the DB to CB change.

I had a NAPS. Gave it to my dealer when I got some new gear. I think he threw it away.

Nooooooo…

Argh… no way to do that !

Sacrilege!! :open_mouth:

Well it might still be in his workshop.