Naim Chrome Bumper

Of course the mandatory min. 3.5m lenghts of NACA5 will make that even less nimble…

I guess that’s why Naim came up with the Muso!

Getting those lengths of naca folded up in that box is quite a feat. :grinning:

that’s why in this case I use some old NACA4.

I think you are right. The fog of time… Interesting how the NBL evolved too. The idea of super rigid speaker stands gradually morphing into steel inside the speaker. My S400s have Stainless Steel inner spring thingies. And then we move to speaker isolation discs…
I remember the Linn guys, when demonstrating Isobariks, ripping the castor wheels off the Spendor BC3 stands, leaving just the spline, and putting 20 cent coins between the speaker and the stand. One of those OMG moments.
I know it’s about being rigid, but also incorporating a mechanical low pass filter. It makes me smile how in the 70’s some guys, (not me definitely), hung their Bose 901s on chains from the ceiling. Not everyone believed in Newton’s Third Law.

1 Like

That’s the one! So not Kans. But at least a Pro Walkman.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion of a Sony pro Walkman. I am a huge vintage Sony fan and have been looking at getting a Walkman for a while, looks like a WM-D6C would fit the bill nicely.

1 Like

I still have my WMD6C powered by a modified SNAPS, but I haven’t used it in years. It was terribly unreliable: I had it serviced four times, both in the UK and the US, yet it always had audibly poor speed stability. Maybe I’ll give it another shot, if I ever find the motivation. According to legend, outside broadcast types would carry four of them, as they were prone to packing up.

I sold Sony back in the day. And I was a big fan of the Pro Walkman. Back then (early 80’s), in sunny Perth a Pro Walkman was the same price $799 AUD as a pair of Linn Kans, or so I remember. We didn’t sell many, but I can’t recall any being unreliable. We must have been lucky.

Or maybe I was unlucky. They certainly had a good reputation back in the day. Maybe I just need to bin mine and buy another one :rofl:

I wish I still had mine. I went with a DAT version, (can’t remember the model), then lost interest.
Love your idea of using a SNAPS power supply. I used to favour using batteries for SQ. Never thought to get a decent power supply.
These days I use my Canon D6 if I want reasonable sound recording outside.

1 Like

I too had bad luck with my WMD6C Walkman Pro. I bought it new when I moved to NYC. It was one of the last ones made but it had terrible problems and despite going back for repair it still couldn’t play or record properly on many tapes - it was as if the azimuth was constantly out. I reckon it was either poor tape tension or a fault with the idler or tyre stock. In the end I got rid of it and stuck with my DC2 and TC-D3 Pro, with of which I still have.

1 Like

Nope, the NAT01 is FM only, the planned accompanying separate AM tuner never made it into production.

1 Like

Ah, makes sense, now. I wonder what the ‘Aux’ was planned for…?

1 Like

I’m going to wildly speculate on a TV audio tuner with NICAM stereo

Originally there was the NAT301 which was FM and AM combined in one box. Only a tiny number of pre-production units were made before the project was then developed into the NAT01 with both an FM and an AM head unit planned. Eventually development of the AM unit was dropped. Later NAPSTs were revised only to provide power for the NAT01 head unit, but happily with improved performance.

2 Likes

There was a high quality TV tuner mentioned in another JV interview that was posted recently but it doesn’t seem that anything came of it.

The fabled Cassette Deck….Tascam transports we’re mentioned in the same interview but did a prototype ever get made. Did you ever see one @Richard.Dane ?

1 Like

Yes, I think the tv tuner was an idea for the Aux output.

I never saw the Cassette Deck prototype. I asked PS about it but he reckoned the parts had already been sent for scrap.

IIRC, Arcam did a high quality NICAM tuner. They also did a rather nice cassette deck…

2 Likes

Yes, the Arcam cassette used a Denon mechanism. I think sales were low though.

1 Like

Thanks Richard. It’s a shame the Cassette Deck didn’t go forward. I’m sure the Naim approach would have been an interesting one…

2 Likes

Yes, when I reread what I wrote I think it might be time to bin it (but keep the SNAPS).

1 Like