Naim Chrome Bumper

They’re surprisingly sought after these days so probably best not to bin it but sell it on.

2 Likes

Been messing around with an Ion Obelisk 3, Quad 34/306 and Onix OA21s recently. They are all off for servicing/recapping and this little chap is back in his rightful place.

22 Likes

Have you got a SOAP power supply with your onix OA21s?

No. Had a play when I got it and it needed a service (never had one) so have not heard it at its best yet without SOAP.

Regret getting rid of mine, Got mine in the mid 1980’s
and got the upgrade itch i wanted their pre power combination
but was informed they were having quality issues at the time.
So i got a naim nac62 hi-cap 140 instead.

1 Like

Picked up this beauty a couple of weeks ago.
Always wanted to try one and it was too good to pass on.

26 Likes

Looks like a tidy unit. Congrats.

1 Like

I have been on holiday for 2 weeks now and enjoying very much my recently serviced NAC42N and NAP110. Absolutely fantastic with the Auralic Altair G1 and pleasantly surprised by the wharfedale diamond 220s as well. Of course the room and place makes all the difference :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Richard in our collection we have an upgraded 110 to 140 using the 002 devices. Sounds amazing.

1 Like

All this talk of upgrading a 110 to 140 and adding a SNAPS is of course very interesting. I recently serviced my 42 and 110 from 1984 and I’m very happy with how it sounds. I was a bit disappointed to be told that the 42 could not be upgraded to a 42.5 so that I could use a Hicap. The other thing is getting Naim kit from that era one never knows if it’s been modded, hacked etc… and is therefore difficult to know what to do. I really like the old Naim CB sound and really want to keep what I have. If it can truly be improved then great. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Keep it serviced but otherwise leave it be is my advice.

3 Likes

That was my feeling. They sound really good. I guess if I can source a SNAPS then that will be an upgrade.
Thanks for the advice

Interesting. I’ve got two recently serviced 110s here (greedy I know) - one uses 001s the other 002s and I can hardly tell them apart. My local dealer had a real soft spot for the 110 and would sometimes demo it with 52 up front just to show how great it could be. He never felt the same about the 140 though!

2 Likes

Yes, I love my NAP110 on a NAC552.

4 Likes

It’s really good. I tried it in our second system that is normally 82, Hicap, 250, IBL and it was seriously impressive!

2 Likes

I did not follow closely all the Naim possibilities in the chrome bumper times. I remember a work colleague that had an LP12 with ittok and asak with a CB 52 and 250 with Linn isobarik dms. It was weirdly set up in the living room of an appartment in Clifton. The speakers were just plunked in the middle of the room. Strange.
It would be great to listen to such a system properly serviced and setup.
I tried the 42 and 110 with the SL2 and in some ways preferred the warmer sound to the 252 plus 300.
In any case I’m so glad I kept the 42 and 110 and got them both serviced.

2 Likes

Suggestions:
On the well known auction site(s) NAC42.5 s pop up from time to time. You could of course find a nice serviced one there so you can use it with a HiCap. Sell off your 42 again if you hear an improvement.
Or be patient for a Snaps to pop-up in your saved search, there were several available last year, and/or ask the relevant people to look out for one.
Finally, as you have a beautiful combo, you can also just keep it as is and enjoy!

3 Likes

Sound advice and thanks for that, but I am a bit wary because you never know what has been done to the kit.
As I said, it is not as though I can’t use and enjoy It, so I will just do that and keep an eye out in the meantime
Regards
Mark

1 Like

The NAC 42.5 that @daddycool is referring to has had one owner from new and 3 services in its lifetime (the last one being done by Class A). If there was a problem with it Darran would have sorted it. I don’t think there is anything wrong with this preamp and it looks immaculate. Yes, buyer beware, but sometimes there are some gems that you don’t want to miss. (I have no connection with the sale, just offering advice).

Not if I get it first you won’t :laughing: