Naim Chrome Bumper

Would love to hear a Naim’d LP12 from the early 90s again. I heard one near Sydney but too long ago to remember much about it.

I think you need to be wary of failing ARO wiring these days - hopefully not very common though.

I have ARO on one of my LP12’s

It’s a brilliant arm , in fact possibly my favourite above the Ekos SE ( I can hear the screams from members here :grinning:)

No problems with wiring

4 Likes

Beautiful system.

1 Like

@snarfy Nice… ! Intrigued by your Kan stands… Not the same as my Mk2 Linn stands - but almost. The legs were straight on mine. Whose are they…?

Hi Ian, I’m not sure who made them. I bought them on ebay last year. They were advertised simply as LS3/5a stands and came at a bargain price. I bought them because it seems Kan stands are somewhat hard to find here in the U.S. and I expected at some point I would get a pair of Kans or another pair of Tab 10s.

1 Like

@snarfy - Well, they look good - and their design apart from the legs, looks very much Mark 2 Linn. I think they will do very nicely…!!! Good Buy.

1 Like

I think Kans will always sound best on Kan 2 stands up against a solid wall, as a friend said to me, “ideally with 2-feet of solid Glasgow tenement wall behind them” :slight_smile:

Still, it’s early days and if you have enough bass then the current stands should do a pretty good job. Maybe swivel them 180 so that they can go back closer to the wall.

What about 5m of NACA4 / A5 or K20?

3 Likes

I measured my Kan 1s and the tweeters are actually about 140cm apart but it varies between rooms.

10 Likes

@Murmur - Now those are what I know as Mk2 stands… :grinning:

2 Likes

Not the same, but… Kudos recommend having their speakers about 2 metres apart - and between 2 to 3 metres from the listening position. Just tweaked mine slightly…

That’s interesting - never known a manufacturer make recommendations like that before

Looking good. Very classic.

Yeah I was playing with mine a bit back. At just under 2m tweeter to tweeter (centres) I found a hole in the middle so closed the gap about 10cms which fixed that. I then noticed Kudos recommend 2m from the inside edges of the speaker. That would create for me a massive hole in the centre of the around stage. I sit about 3m away. Weird ehh?!

Kans here 2m apart, slightly toed in, listening pos 4m away centre. No hole in the middle.

2 Likes

Realising now that I’ve somewhat under appreciated the 110, especially with a 42.5. I can see the attraction now and also understand why, like the Nait 1 and 2, it can be used with a modern digital front end. Both the 42.5 and 110 are more neutral sounding than many other CB pre/powers I’ve owned and, whilst not quite as engaging and meaningful as a 12/BD160 or 32.5/160, they are pretty close, and don’t include a slightly peaky/distorted upper mid or overly warm presentation (at least when partnered with pre-Cirkus LP12). That clarity and neutral sound also helps a lot a very low volume late at night. And treble is amazingly sweet/finessed for that era. Only my Nait/CB Nait 2 are as neutral from that period, although I’m guessing 32.5/HICAP/135s would be in the same ball park since my 32.5/Hi/250 was not all that far off. So glad I didn’t sell the 110 - which was a possibility at one time.

4 Likes

The NAP110 is a little honey of an amp.

6 Likes

Can’t wait for the next time in france to be in front of my 42/110.
Just a shame i can’t easily take the SL2 speakers on holiday with me

3 Likes

The CB110 was the first NAP I owned. It was traded in for a 250, in 1985…

But… I now also own a 140… :smiley:

2 Likes

What’s that partnered with Ian? Sorry if you said before but I don’t recall.

1 Like

Its box… lols. Its part of my spares stock - along with a late 72. Had it serviced not long ago and let is run with my 82 for about 6 months, instead of my 250. Did not disgrace itself, at all.

1 Like