Naim Chrome Bumper

Looks great !

How are they sounding and please remind us what you had before? 250?

@NeilS Haven’t had any CB gear serviced for a couple of years but has Naim changed some of their components during that period? Just had a couple of items back from Class A and they sound really modern and crisp, yet musical too. I assumed the 62 just had a clearer sound than older CB pre-amps but now had a 110 from him that has a similar vibe. Either that or I’ve been lucky with these two items, but it’s odd they both exhibit similar benefits.

I’m getting there… need to run off a few more shelves to hold the rest of the kit… now to set up the ND5 XS…

31 Likes

This is my idea of hell! How many power leads? How much hum? I’m assuming that this is in a dedicated room rather than a living area?

Different horses……

Looks great Tim. Enjoy :+1:

1 Like

No hum. None whatsoever…

You are the undisputed king of chrome bumper.

2 Likes

Wow, amazing collection! Would love to hear a setup like that.

1 Like

Hi Murmur,

The only changes worthy of note are:
The reservoir caps used for servicing the 110 used to be BHC Aerovox, these are now labelled Kemet, BHC were taken over by Kemet but I think this was just rebranding rather than any physical change.
The 47uF radial capacitors in the 62 have also changed, but that has happened within the last couple of months.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thanks Neil.
Perhaps it’s also compounded by other factors, such as general variation between units, and my 42.5 has hand drawn boards (i.e. making gap to 62 more obvious). Neither 110 has external sockets but the better one is a higher serial.

Murmur – so would I! It’s currently running on two NAP 250s, just need to get my NAXOs serviced and some special cables made up, then I’m good to go…

Why do you have two NAXOs?

I have two NAC 32.5s, as well… OK, I had a spare 32.5 lying around and, knowing that one of the biggest differences between a NAC 52 and 82 is the fact that the 52 is a true dual-mono design, I thought “why not use one 32.5 for channel 1, the other for channel 2?” (I had a spare HiCap, as well). Then a CB NAXO came up on eBay for the bargain price of £220 so, I thought, “why not dual-mono NAXOs as well?” It will basically allow me to have one complete mono tri-amp for channel 1, and another for channel 2… why? Because I can!

The NAP 250s will be ‘dual-mono’ according to the following scheme, the idea being that, because each board in each NAP 250 is handling the same signal, it should make the power supplies’ job a lot easier… honestly, the things that occur to you during lockdown…

8 Likes

That’s beautiful, Bevo – my NAT 01 has the original vacuum-fluorescent display, and most of the segments have faded (but are still readable). Just a wonderful thing to have in your system…

Thanks TimD yes it’s a beauty

I use to also have the NAT101/naps with the rotating dial, SQ not quite as good as the 01 and couldn’t hold the station that well for some reason, so sold it on

1 Like

9 135’s, CB supercap and 32.5 about to add an XPS-2 I’ll find a CB case for, so the AV box count is growing :grinning:

![Naim CB Nov 21|690x459](upload://dl

CwZuictQxuBqj6efwPOzcWhAY.jpeg)

12 Likes

Snarfy – I think IWCDoppel has me bang to rights…

2 Likes

IWC – how did you get the chrome-bumper on the SuperCap? Machine or by hand?

1 Like

I forgot about him!

1 Like

I just sanded with 80/120 grit and a block, came out fine I didn’t change the front and you dont notice, I’ll take a pic later

1 Like