Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

My macbook is on Sierra OS. Has anyone tried the update with this version? I really don’t want to update the OS as everything is working exactly as I need it to and its a 2011 macbook pro so not the quickest anyway.

Yes weird indeed.
Both files I tried were over 1 GB of size.
The .dsf version of that track was 1,392,777 bytes and the .dff version 1,398,467. The .dff is even larger and that played fine. Difference with. dsf is that it not contains (and probably even can’t, at least I have not been able to add any) metadata. So guess that also plays a key role.
Because @Stevesky mentioned possible problems with 32bit with UPnP I put both files on an USB stick and played them through the NDS USB port. Same problem,dff is fine dsf cuts out after about 8:17. So that rules out UPnP as the culprit I guess.

I believe there is something in the streamer firmware that is required in order to get the screen to show text properly, which is one of the reasons they warn people that it’s not a good idea to attempt a DIY screen replacement. I’m guessing that particular bit of code has not yet loaded when the screen first lights up after this particular update. So nothing to worry about as long as it works properly when the process is complete.

Latest security update from Apple in 2019 - your own risk :wink:

Actually, I thought that the situation re: metadata is the reverse - .dsf files contain metadata (hence why they are the preferred DSD format) but .dff doesn’t.

Hi all,

@JSchmidt - absolutely correct for dff, dsf knowledge ref metadata.

Overall, there is a dsd huge file issue still. We’ll get it fixed and pushed to next release.

Regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I meant to say. Maybe I put it wrong. DFF as opposite to DSF does not contain metadata. DSF does. If DFF could contain metadata we would not have (or at least I would not have :grin:) a problem.

In any case, we will have to wait until the next legacy firmware update (which @Stevesky told me is planned for next year) to deal with this bug.

1 Like

I had that mirror image too. It’s a special feature so that you can have the ports facing you and use a mirror to read the screen :roll_eyes:

1 Like

On the update instructions it says the product will be updated to :-
4.8.0(14773) Western Europe
The option I’m getting is 4.8.0(14776) Western Europe
What is the difference?
Mine is a 272 not the Qute in the example. Is this the difference? Don’t want to press the button if it’s not right!

You’re fine - just the specific version of 4.8 for your product. Just follow the instructions and you’ll be good (thanks for reading them!)

Hi folks, tried to run 4.8 on a Surface Pro. The surface does not have any serial ports, so there is no com port listing under the device manager. Is there a solution to overcome this, as the the updater asks for a com port ?

Sadly I just don’t think it’s possible. Could you not borrow a laptop from someone, or see if your local Naim dealer could help out?

Thx Claire, yup, had the same thought. Will get a Lenovo tomorrow from a friend. Guess the full laptops do still have serial ports.

1 Like

I did mine through surface pro via USB to 272. Was fine.

Well, that’s good to know! @TomGroove please note.

Thx Jamie. But what is USB to 272 ?

You’ve got a usb port on the side of the Surface Pro right?

You need a usb cable out of that and into the back of your Naim device. Then continue to follow the instructions.

Sure, and I am using a USB to Mini USB b cable, but I did not connect it yet to the Naim, as the updater asked for a com port. So let me try…

Should be fine