Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

Thx, just sitting at the doctor. Will try in an hour…

You have to have the Naim streamer connected to your PC with the USB cable and switched on before you start the updater program.

You may need driver software, which gives you a virtual com port via USB, but you know that because you read the instructions from Naim carefully. Right?

Best

David

1 Like

of course, Sir :wink: but I actually did not read about a virtual com port within the Naim updater pdf, but may be I need to read again…I actually need to wait anyway as the Mini USB B turned out to be a UC6 cable. I did read about a driver, which did not install on m y system. But I guess, that I wait for the cable first.

1 Like

Here’s the link to the PC guide!

thx, yes I did read that one, did not see anything about virtual ports…let me try anyway tomorrow with the correct mini usb cable.

And it does list this : if you are using a USB to Mini-USB B lead then the streamer will need to be connected to your computer and
powered on for the driver to be visible.

So I will see

You should be able to see the virtual port in the device manager, as described in the note, where you will also see the assigned Com number, which makes it easier when you have to select it to get the updater to start its stuff. Good luck!
Best

David

As its a Surface Pro will likely only have one option in dropdown list…

I haven’t ever played with a Surface Pro, anyway as long as it has an option then……

Best

David

will give update tomorrow…and I am praying of having that option :wink:

@frenchrooster do you need to do this to your NDS?
Even if you don’t often stream Tidal, it may be worth doing in the long run??

“Users of legacy products will need to update before December, when TIDAL will switch to the new authentication system. If you have not updated products by then, you will no longer be able to stream TIDAL.”

Was wondering if it’s possible to do a factory reset if your display doesn’t work anymore……?

Yes is possible to reset to factory defaults, but changing back the settings to your personal preferences is very difficult. OK OK you can go down a guesswork trail of 5 down, 2 left etc etc etc for hoping (& praying ) you‘re at each of the right points to set. But it to be sure, the display is the only way to see what you’re setting it to.

When you do get the display fixed, consider why do you need it other than to check or change your preferences, so set it to go off at 10 seconds, my 7 year old NDX screen is as bright as new.

2 Likes

@Mike-B just wait a moment and your NDX display will fade too. My 10 years old Uniti was fine until 2 months ago and now the display is almost impossible to be read anymore. The decline was unbelievably quick. It has never really been on a part from the set up changes and due rebooting from time to time.

1 Like

Yes it is.
Switch the unit on while pressing & holding the front panel stop button (hold it for at least 10 seconds).
Then press the front panel play button. Leave the unit to run through the reset procedure - 2 or 3 minutes.

1 Like

Tom
I did my update yesterday from a surface pro … mini usb to usb and of course unzip the 64 drivers for the cable within the instructions

Great to hear, Archie. Waiting for the cable…

Thx to Claire, Jamie, David and Erchie (sorry for the A above) for helping here. I am a happy man, the upgrade started fine :slight_smile:

The updater did indeed install a virtual driver at com3 at the Suirface Pro 4. So I was too German, as I did check it out, before it was connected.

3 Likes

Superb

And I am even happier as the multiroom streaming between Superuniti and Mu-so Qb 2 works now !
I was still at 4.4, so probbaly 4.6 and 4.7 would have achieved that too, but :wink:

1 Like