Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

According installation instruction, I should see on my Device Manager: Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge” followed by “(COMx)” where x is the COM port number. Instead this I see:
CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller. New driver is required.
What I need to do?

Load the latest Silicon Labs CP210x from the link thats on the instructions .PDF

Hi, my NDX (c2012) is with Naim this week for a new OLED green screen ( failed during one of the lockdowns) . Reading some of the posts above, can I take it Naim will update the NDX to latest version while they have it. In hope, as always a cold shiver on updates ……:crossed_fingers:

Yes they will do that.

Thank you and great to know

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere.

I have a Uniti with an N-link port. I have avoided the upgrade to firmware 4.8 due to the caution in the release notes indicating that the upgrade could effectively brick the uniti. The uniti is on 4.7. The release notes do not indicate if there is a path forward for Tidal support on this version of the uniti or is it Spotify Connect only for streaming services?

Thinking that replacing the display a few years back might not have been the best idea.

When you say an n-link port, do you mean a 9 pin D-type RS232 type? Like the top one shown here?

If it’s something other than these two, then I suggest you phone Naim support to discuss how to do the update. But I’m certain it can be done, as you have 4.7 on there already. The 4.8 version should be fine on a Uniti.

Also did you do the update to 4.7 yourself, or was it a dealer? If it was you then you could use the same cable/interface as last time.

I agree with everything David H wisely says above, especially re whom did the update last time. (You mention having a screen replaced? Chances are it was upgraded then.)

I can go through this also with the service and support team on Monday; you still have more than a week before the TIDAL change, so we can work together to assess your options.

What stops you from using Tidal or Spotify is if you have one of the earlier 24/96 streaming boards. This would require a hardware upgrade to fit the newer 24/192 board in addition to the firmware update.

By N-link I mean the connector for the Naim iPod connection cable. The Uniti has the RS-232 connector for firmware updates.

I had the Uniti upgraded to the 24/192 board in 2012 by AV Options when they were doing the US service for Naim. So if the older board is the issue then perhaps I am good to update to 4.8.

Just need confirmation from Naim.

Thanks!

Yes, Naim’s instructions are clear that you shouldn’t attempt the update if you have an N-Link port. Best talk to Naim support to see if they can do anything.

I’m sure Naim can do something. But anyway talking to Naim support is the way to go, and quickly too if you want to keep Tidal working.

Incidentally I don’t remember the presence of a n-link port ever being mentioned as an issue before in earlier firmware updates for Unitis, nor in beta testing of 4.8 come to that, so I wonder whether this is just an unclear instruction drafting issue.

Naim have always advised that you should contact them before updating a Uniti with an N-Link port, although I have no idea what they advise. I would guess that it rarely gets mentioned because there aren’t that many of them.

Completed. :slight_smile:

Thanks Claire.

The screen replacement was done by Naim/Focal NA. I have done updates to the Uniti before so I am ok doing that if the Uniti with an n-link port that has been updated to the 24/192 board can be updated to 4.8.

A grab of Settings info from the Uniti is attached in case that is helpful.

Dan

Thanks, Dan - will talk through it with the team today.

Hi Dan - good news, you’re fine to update. The key issue is that you’re using the upgraded 24/192 board. We can’t assume people have upgraded - hence the warning - but for those that have, and that are happily running TIDAL/Spotify and a recent Firmware version, it’s OK.

Can we expect Tidal Connect or Spotify HiFi in a future firmware update or have our Legacy streamers come to the end of their shelf life…?

They still do everything and more they did when they were new.

It is not technically possible to update legacy products with TIDAL Connect functionality. (TIDAL Connect requires a Linux operating system, which the legacy products are unable to run.) However, users can still enjoy TIDAL as previously, via the Naim App - as long as they upgrade to the latest firmware.

We’re under NDA re Spotify’s plans, so can’t discuss any future stuff there yet, sorry.

1 Like

Thanks Clare, completely understand. And at the same time, keeping my fingers crossed that maybe we may still see a Spotify Hifi option for the legacy streamers. :crossed_fingers: