Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

Got it done while cooking dinner. Who said men can’t multitask!

6 Likes

I’ll try and get it and have a go. Will let you know

272 in progress. And done. Works great, sounds great :ok_hand:

Updated with macbook air M1 wireless and 272 wired. USBC dongle to USBA to USB Mini B. Battery sleep to never. Initiated Naim updater, chose usbserial-001, western Europe and off it went.

4 Likes

Anyone have issues downloading from windows 10 keeps blocking and no way to unblock

Hi @JSchmidt

Re: DSD - we applied fixes to that area in this release to remove any traces of 32bit maths. Hence, the screenshot of the 21min track that @R.K posted worked. That will be a multi-gigabyte file playing.

If you can point me in the direction of this huge file we’ll give it a try here. One thing we noticed while doing the dsd work is that some UPnP servers on NAS’s caused failure, as they hit 32bit maths issues as well.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

2 Likes

Sounds like a Windows Defender issue- have you changed these security settings to allow the download?

It sends a standard popup warning that its not recognised by MS with an ‘OK’ button that stops the process.
There is also a greyed out button that says something like ‘Info’ … touch that & a new screen comes up with an ‘Install Anyway’ button, & that completes the install.

ND5XS successfully updated to 4.8. No real issues other than iMac blocking Naim installer, but had this before so new how to get round this. Did do the factory reset as stickler for going by the letter in instructions. Just had to remember system automation settings for ND5XS, nDAC and Nait XS2 all sorted though. Even though I don’t use Tidal but Qobuz via Roon/Sonore UPnP Bridge, good practice to have latest firmware.

3 Likes

Im on 4.4 at the moment as I preferred the sound to the later 4.6 and 4.7 updates. If I upgrade to 4.8 and don’t like it can I definitely downgrade to 4.4 again? I have 4.4 fw on my laptop already so thats not a problem.

Yes, just load the old firmware back on in the same way that you do the new one.

1 Like

Care to share how to get around the iMac blocking situation…would be a big help to me?
Chris

I was a little ‘anxious’ about doing the upgrade as the screen on my ND5XS recently stopped working, however the earlier comments about the factory reset not being critical gave me the confidence to do it.

Took about 10 mins to complete, no issues using a MacBook Pro, or during the upgrade and system working fine now. Phew.

As ChrisSU says, but you need to make that you either still have or can download from Naim the 4.4 updater. (Sorry I now see that you had already mentioned you had this sorted.)

Best

David

1 Like

Thanks guys, I thought you would be able to, and as mentioned I do have a copy of 4.4 on my laptop. I’ll give it a try over the next couple of days.

You have to go to security & privacy from system preference and open ‘anyway’ the Naim Streamer Updater from there. Non Apple Store apps are blocked by default. Hope this helps.

Yes as said by ChrisSU
However before you do go to 4.8, part of the instructions include to uninstall the old installer; if you do this it will uninstall 4.4 if you haven’t already moved it.
So move 4.4 to a temporary folder before you uninstall the old installer software.
Then when the new installer is in place, move the 4.4 software back to the normal firmware folder

1 Like

Having successfully installed V4.8 on my UnitiQute V2, the latest ‘stable’ version of the Naim IOS app no longer finds the device from either iPhone 12 Pro or iPad Pro despite network analyzers on BOTH devices being able to see and ping the device.

Anyone else seeing this outcome?Best, J

… and I would add highly unlikely to be caused by 4.8

Have you done restarts of the app and on all devices?

p.s. I’ve moved your post to the appropriate thread to keep as much of it together in one place as possible.

Hi Steve.

Thanks for responding. I’m not sure what you mean by “point me in the direction of this huge file”.

The specific track that I mentioned is from a San Francisco Orchestra recording that is available from Presto Classical among others. This was a hybrid SACD disc from which I was able to rip the DSD layer. Unfortunately, it seems like all that is currently available for purchase is either the Redbook CD or a 24/96 FLAC download. I’m happy to send you the file via Dropbox or your preferred large file transfer method.

I can also send the three other tracks that suffer from the same problem. These were from recordings of Mahler’s third and ninth symphonies, which appear to no longer be in the catalog (but see the Discogs links). These were also ripped from the DSD layer of SACDs.

A few other points to note:

1. Four all four tracks, the amount of the track that plays is the actual track time minus 25:22. So the Mahler 4th track plays for 25:27 - 25:22 = 00:05. Thus I’m not surprised that the recording that @R.K. refers to played without a problem, since the timing of that track is less than 25:22.
  2. I have a second system in my home that uses an Oppo BD-103 universal player, which can also stream files from a music server. This player plays all four of these tracks properly.
  3. In case it’s of any significance, I’m using an Innuos Zen MkII music server. The Innuos app also shows the proper length for these tracks.

Thanks again for your efforts to get to the bottom of this issue.