Naim & Focal 10th Anniversary Edition

Let’s not get snippy with each other. It seems to me that the issue, if we take the NDX2 as an example, is that it’s hard to get bits for it, so deliveries are taking a long time. Naim now introduce the Tin version. It needs the same bits. Demand increases. Delays increase. People get grumpy. Naim create hassle for themselves. It just seems so obvious that now is not a good time to do this.

8 Likes

What’s obvious to me is that whatever Naim do there are a bunch of people whining and seeing Armageddon coming based on zero information.

And God forbid that a commercial entity does anything that increases demand. Unheard of.

It’s just the normal units with the boxes painted differently. They may get scheduled just like normal deliveries. Or not. We don’t know

6 Likes

I’m sure if one wanted an XPS DR in Tin livery then Naim would oblige as a customised option. Hardly rocket …

4 Likes

Why are some people so binary here?

If you’re not with us you’re against us… I don’t get it.

I don’t particularly like the colours either, but pi**ing on Naim/Focal’s attempts to attract other customers is just silly. Also, don’t you think they’re looking at their supply chain and potential sales projections (which to be fair is a limited market, so probably not too much of an effect on overall sales for this set) and are accounting for it?

We’re all so smart when we’re on the outside.

My 2c.

6 Likes

According to the press release the system is available now, so unless extra supplies of the components in short supply have been obtained, which seems highly unlikely, building these will delay the production of the standard models and thereby increase the wait time for customers. Whether upsetting customers is a good strategy or not is for each of us to decide.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, no-one is designing new cases - this launch is just taken from RAL or Pantone colour swatch!

Available in limited quantities… important distinction

I agree, this seems like an odd marketing-led approach, rather than addressing what the customer actually wants. With limited potential sales, resale values of the “tin” coloured units will be modest. A lazy approach by NAIM…

1 Like

That’s a good point. It depends on whether they keep spares, given they may be requested several years down the line.

1 Like

I agree, though it depends on what limited means in practice. I wish Naim every success, but it should not come at the expense of customers. That’s the interesting bit, and the answer will surely emerge in due course.

1 Like

Whoa now! I LIKE things that come in orange. And they’ll match my orange Brompton to a tee.

6 Likes

All brands, at least a lot, are celebrating the 10th or 50th anniversary of their brand.
I agree that it’s not the best time, as Naim faces a lot of delay in delivery or lacking dr parts. But advertising is necessary.
I find personally that colour not to my taste and think that an error was made not to include a grey XPS dr.

1 Like

When the Solstice was announced in late June, the press release also said “available from late July”, that didn’t mean everyone got theirs in August.

Ony chance ay a tartan wan, tae match ma kilt, ken?

Never mind the colour, they describe the NAP250 as a Preamp

3 Likes

Oops wrong forum. :joy: :+1:t2:

7 Likes

An’ wrang tartan, anaw. :rofl:

5 Likes

I think it’s rather different and quite unexpected. I rather like the speakers although seeing Naim in anything other than black does take you a bit by surprise. I remember the first time I saw the raw alloy NAC552 that was built for a particular dealer. It looked really odd to me, but others thought it fantastic. Now of course it’ll be a highly desirable Naim collectible, as no doubt these may turn out to be in years hence.

I realise that we’re a fairly conservative lot overall on the forum, but if Naim and Focal want to celebrate 10 years together - and why not, after all, their business has grown much stronger over the last 10 years together - then I reckon we can go with that. After all, it’s Naim’s 50th year soon, and I wouldn’t want to put them off doing something special for that anniversary (I know what I’d like to see)…

14 Likes

I’m at a loss to understand how this affects supplies of existing models or repairs/upgrades of existing equipment. It just means that anyone ordering a new system will have the option of a different livery.

2 Likes

Nat 01 (revisited) or at last the cassette deck?!

1 Like