Naim & Focal 10th Anniversary Edition

Source for this information? Maybe there is a long waiting list. Same as for the Solstice, but then this made people complain like five year olds just as well

Oh I see, difficult to distinguish :joy:

Coincidentally Simon Matthews design director at Naim / Focal is now ex director - he’s gone to B&W.
So who’s “designing” this I wonder?

Well B&W certainly can use a designer

1 Like

Maybe there is a Tin Anniversary Muso range in the offing? That would’ve made more sense i think.

1 Like

Yes! A matter of opinion. The brand is looking tired and needs innovation. Enjoy your system : what it is is obviously what you want it to be.

If it’s a matter of opinion, then maybe it doesn’t “just suck”

I would hate it if Naim became a different brand among others that already exist

Yes. Apart from lack of current upgradeability, what happens if Naim ever updates the 282 or 250DR? What happens if the buyer wants to add a phono stage? And if the buyer can put up with non matching boxes in order to upgrade, surely the trade in grey box will have to be discounted?

It may be a short term cashflow fix for dealers (if Naim prioritise delivering these over black boxes), but the dealer won’t get loyal customers coming back for upgrades. It’s also against the ethos of good dealers who traditionally demonstrate a number of options, advise on alternative combinations and sell the best system for the customers’ needs. Maybe they’ll just sell these through Harrods and the new lifestyle Focal/Naim store channels?

It may sell, I can’t tell, but if people want a non-upgradeable lifestyle system, surely they’ll go with a one or two box product (plus speakers), not a five box product (plus speakers)?

But hey, I’m sure they’ve done their research, they’ve done their sums, and they’ve considered their significant long term customer base and decided its all for the best. Well - maybe not the last one but then, to quote the late, great Robert Paulson “two out of three ain’t bad”.

Reflecting on this I suspect that Naim would ideally have liked to celebrate this event with a new range of products, 272/372 and perhaps 250-3 possibly in Uniti/Statement livery, but the current climate precludes against whereas repainting the NDX/282/250 was a relatively simple step.

Regards,

Lindsay

9 Likes

This looks like it belongs on the Death Star.

1 Like

This is where. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Where does this say that the gray ones will be prioritized?

Didn’t say it did but the grey ones are being or been built and people waiting can’t get theirs.

1 Like

Of course you did say that

Wouldn’t be advertising if they didn’t intend to supply.
So why push product that require DR and there are no DR units to service existing customers equipment.
Wow.
I’m sure that Polarbear will be thrilled to read this and anyone else waiting.

2 Likes

They announced the Solstice and there was a waiting list of many months. It may be the same here. Or it may not, which is why I asked where you had the information from that these will be prioritized. But clearly you don’t have any and made it up

1 Like

I think the colour scheme is kind of sharp… but… I’d never buy it for the reasons stated (inability to upgrade in future due to colour mismatch).

Strikes me as a branding vanity project that makes everyone internally feel good, but won’t move the needle from a business perspective. I also suspect these pieces will be much more difficult for resale or future exchange with dealers due to the colour mismatch problem.

They will, @LindsayM they will …

The ones I’ve seen in photographs are obviously built.
I simply pointed out the poignancy of advertising a new product that requires the very DR units that are not currently available for long term customers that have been left waiting.
I don’t get any other point other than you like to argue.

3 Likes

You saw five boxes from outside, I think. They may have stuff on the inside, or not. And there may be one example in existence, or they may have built one hundred.