Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

steviebee

Sorry to be a bit of a wuss but if you are under doctor’s orders, is there any chance you could spare a few coins for the dealer from whom you purchased the fraim to have one of their folks pop round and help you assemble it? The fraim levels aren’t particularly heavy; it’s the boxes which can be both heavy and awkward to place on the shelves. Plus if you don’t have much clearance behind the rack, it may be a bit of a stretch to install the interconnects, etc. Don’t underestimate the load this can place on you if you are carrying an injury. Take it easy.

Peter

1 Like

Thanks Peter. Good to know.

I agree.

I have some arthritis of the facet joints in the lumber region of my back where I have mild disc degeneration. When I do a rebuild of my two Fraim stacks I can create a flare up and inflammation lasting for days if I’m not careful with everything you mention. Those power supplies are really heavy and awkward to manage without putting pressure on the back.

Thanks Peter
It’s OK - the initial ‘no heavy lifting’ ban is almost over (so long as I then don’t go mad ie going back to work for 2/3 weeks) so the SuperCap…rest…Supernait 3…rest…routine will be fine. If it takes longer, it takes as long as it takes!

Luckily, @JosquinDesPrez, my situation is just post-op, my back is OK. My sympathy to anyone with a bad back - not pleasant at all.

But if I run into set-up problems, you bet I’ll be on the phone for the dealer’s assistance!

Top tip … don’t build the rack and leave placing the black boxes till last.

Rather, put the boxes, with one end of the cable already attached, in place as you go … takes much of the hard work out of things. :+1:

8 Likes

Yes, this makes things much easier.

Also, grab @Richard.Dane’s excellent Fraim assembly playbook from the FAQ section. That saves time and assures you it’s done right.

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/how-to-build-the-naim-fraim/335/2

1 Like

Good reminder. I followed Richard’s guide (quite comprehensive!). I am very thankful for Richard’s help across many topics here…

Can someone verify what finish of Fraim this is? This was taken in the new demo room and it looks striking.

2 Likes

For the price of 4 fraims , I prefer to buy Naim Dac. So for me it’s not worth it. It is good quality and make some difference but it’s over priced.

1 Like

Light ash or maple not sure

I think it’s ash.

When you have done it once, it gets much easier each and every time. Of course the levels will remain assembled as you will only have to check their three nuts and locks for tightness on a rebuild.
The real difficulty is to level the base at the beginning and more importantly the top level at the end while keeping the spike in the middle of the chips receptacles.
Positioning the glass shelves and avoiding their getting out of place also requires care and attention. The balls are quick to escape and the fear to scratch or brittle the glass falling on the wooden shelves will add 10 wrinkles if not 10 years to the counter everytime.

It certainly looks beautiful. Love mine.

17 Likes

Welcome jejese1,

Wow, your system with the matching Fraim looks terrific. Are the speakers Sonus Fabers?

Claude

Thanks Claude!
Yes, they’re the SF Guarneri Tradition. Particularly impressive with classical and opera.

1 Like

The Fraim is definitely worth it for me. Brings everything together and I love the look.

8 Likes

DB couldn’t have written it better 9 months and 620 posts ago: “General improvements in clarity, timing and removal of bass coloration was obvious.”.

I would like to make a shelf in my Fraim that holds the Naim Core, Power Supplies, Cisco and eR. This would mean putting the Naim Core on its side. Are there any issues rotating the Core so the slot is vertical? I would add some rubber bumpers to the side.

Also posted on a Core thread. More action here.

I am a glazier, 10 mm smoked toughened glass with polished edges is about £70 sq metre

1 Like

Just built my 5 level Fraim. Phew!
Initial impressions as to whether it’s worth it?

O yes.

Only a few tunes in but everything is more listenable, solid and just plain easier to follow.

And…seems to have taken some hardness/‘glare’ out, so high volumes are just nicer.
And my hummy SuperCap DR transformer is less…hummy

Liking Fraim a lot!
:slight_smile:

7 Likes