Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

I appreciate the NDX 2 will benefit from a full Fraim, but is it the case for the 282 and 300 as well?

All the Naim boxes will benefit but Iā€™d max out where you want to be with them before adding Fraim. Skip the XPS & do the 555 even if it means missing out on Fraim for a short while. Thereā€™s a few Fraim sets available on eBay at the moment or see if your dealer has some ex demo in to avoid new cost which was mad enough when I got mine 15 years ago but seems crazy now.

1 Like

You can easily pickup a pre-loved Burndy on the well-known auction site to use with the 555PS - should save you a few '00 pounds.

1 Like

Initially I was definitely focused on 555 PS. But after reading dozens of threads re XPS or 555 PS. Many say, ā€œfantasticā€, but a tad overkill for the NDX 2, and that the XPS gives 70% of what the 555 PS can give.
Itā€™s nearly Ā£3,000 more, plus the Ā£538 Burndy.

2 Likes

Donā€™t know what it is, but Iā€™m a tad nervous about buying High End gear on auction sites. If it develops a fault, youā€™re cream crackered! :grinning:

Having used an XPSDR on my NDX2 for some time and then moving to 555PSDR Iā€™d strongly urge you to aim for the latter. It simply transforms the NDX2 into an altogether more capable machine.

G

4 Likes

Yup. This with a XPS DR on a NDX 2 is an immense upgrade. I donā€™t hanker after a 555 DR, even though iā€™ve heard what it does to a NDX 2 on a few occasions.

2 Likes

Thanks Stephen.

1 Like

Thanks Graeme :+1: Normally Iā€™d say itā€™s all about priority, but not too sure on this one.

NDX 2/Fraim/FramLite, or NDX 2/555PSā€¦Then Fraim later?

1 Like

I recently did exactly the same and fully agree.

Paul

1 Like

Might be worth investigating dealers for ex demo / used gear to help make things more affordable. Probably pay more than an auction site, but a safer bet if youā€™re uncomfortable (as I am ) with auction sites. I bought a used full Fraim last year and this year a used 555DR to power my NDX2. Both from TomTom audio, very happy with both.

Paul

2 Likes

Agree 100%
Iā€™ve had xpsdr on my ndx2 and subsequently 555psdr.
More organic, more everything-
David

4 Likes

My two Target racks wonā€™t die either. I will eventually change them for full Fraims however Iā€™ve had them so long Iā€™m kind of attached!

7 Likes

Wow! Amazing :smile: When did you get yours? I got mine around 1990-1991 from a well know hifi dealer in Kent, who are still trading!
You canā€™t smash them up, weā€™ll need an angle grinder! :grinning:

1 Like

That picture brings back memoriesā€¦ I also had a Target rack before I upgraded to full Fraim.

Claude

1 Like

Iā€™ve bought a fraim lite for my
Ndx2
300 dr

It sounds amazing just couldnā€™t see the point in a full fat fraimā€¦ ?
Surly better isolation for the speakers is the way to go. Anyone got the isoacoustics Gaiaā€™s ?
Also the ndx handles digital files they donā€™t skip or jump like CDs or vinyl? Sorry to sound like a noob but does a digital source need so much isolation?

1 Like

Iā€™m still on the fence about buying a Fraim, or FraimLite. I may decide to have a mixture.

Had these been black boxes, one would obviously take them home for a demo. A logistical nightmare trying to demo the stacks at home! Itā€™s not as if you can break open the box, fit it all togetherā€¦and decide, No. :smile:

I have one Fraim for TT and another for CD player

Rest of Naim gear I have the fraimlites

Works for me DJM. I think worth getting , they do isolate each piece of equipment very well

Cheers

1 Like

4 Likes

Trusting the dealerā€™s view, I have split the difference between a Fraimlite and a Fraim and ordered a Simrak. Will know whether it works when it arrives which, with luck, will be by the end of the month.

1 Like