Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

It’s the simplest assembly known to man, assuming a basic grasp of screw threads and an ability to relate the images on the leaflet to the bits of wood, metal & glass in front of you for the first shelf, then they’re all the same. It’s difficult to get it wrong tbh.

2 Likes

Replacement boxes from Naim/Linn oast more than you might think. If you can, retain.

2 Likes

It took my very experianced dealer from 10AM to 6.10PM to remove all my kit, put to one side, assemble the 11 Fraims, clean the boxes involved and build up as approppriate. Stopped for lunch in his car for 30 minutes.
He returned the next day to fire up and check all was OK. Left at lunchtime.
At my age,77, no way.

2 Likes

Since I just got a Fraim - certainly will keep boxes for moving.

The nice thing is that you can probably reduce 4-5 Fraim boxes to 2:

1 box for all the main shelves and glass shelves.

1 box for the columns, spikes and other assembly material

There is a lot of empty space in those Naim Fraim boxes!

2 Likes

Back when the Fraim was something brand new I did a roadshow in Sweden with Carl-Michael Engvall. Over the course of a couple of weeks or so we drove around the country, each day a new dealer to set up a Naim system for a Music evening for their customers. Of course that mean’t each day building up a full Fraim and then after the music evening presentation, breaking it all down again and packing it back into the respective boxes. Needless to say I quickly got very good at building Fraim and also at taking it apart. Much of that experience informed the Fraim build guide that you’ll find in the FAQ. Do each level at a time and you’ll soon be a pro. It shouldn’t take much more than half an hour at most for a single stack, although the one thing I do recommend is a proper spanner instead of the thin freebie you get in the Fraim base.

7 Likes

Or have a very patient and understanding dealer. :grin:

3 Likes

You seem to be equating ease with speed, which I hope isn’t what I was suggesting. A Fraim shelf is easy to assemble and disassemble, but that doesn’t make each one a 2 minute job. And you’re right, add in the time & effort to carefully move each black box and the time will accumulate, esp if as in your case you have 11 to do.

All of my boxes and bases & shelves are currently out of the way while I redecorate the front room. I’d hate for my decorating to be at the behest of a dealer having the time & inclination to come out and move it for me. Age will catch up with me too and moving heavy boxes will be less appealing, but Fraim shelves are as easy to build as anything Ikea make.

1 Like

Harry is so good at it

Haven’t spoken to him yet. I’m probably going to dismantle everything but I will as always need his advice and wisdom.

Yes, part of the skill in assembly is down to dressing cables etc. Not a job to be rushed.
You are right about the spanner as supplied with the bases. Easy to bend!

Much appreciated, Sir… Thank you.

When setting up, I enjoy tinkering and taking my time. It’s probably why I don’t want or need a dealer to help with my babies. Except if it were really necessary help, like with huge ass amps or speakers where a one man job will never cut it.

Finding a patient dealer, who understands the ins and outs of set-up and is just really patient without rushing the process - that’s a challenge.

Cheers

1 Like

I have had the same dealer for more years than I can remember. Two of the guys almost go past the bottom of my road to get home. Also I have spent a fair amount of money with them.
Its a win/win situation.

1 Like

Yes, a Fraim is really worth it.

Naim dealers are supposed to be willing to install Naim equipment. Whether or not that extends to installing a Fraim purchase only is a moot point. Maybe @Naim.Marketing or @Richard.Dane can advise. I would however suggest if you have established a relationship with a Naim dealer I would bet that dealer would set up a Fraim for you FOC.

Many of us Fraim owners prefer to build (and strip down and re-rebuild) our own Fraims. Either way a Fraim is well worth the cost in terms of improved SQ.

1 Like

Nigel, that’s probably a question best asked of the dealer. I’d imagine most good dealers would install for their customers provided they don’t live miles outside of the locale.

1 Like

I always thought the freebie thin spanner was designed that way in order to prevent over-tightening. I guess I was overthinking it and they are just cheap spanner’s!
But what is the optimum tightness and how to judge when you’ve got it right Richard?

3 Likes

The cheapo thin spanner does prevent you from over tightening, it’s true. It’ll either start to deform or your hand and fingers will do likewise. But it’s much nicer to use a proper spanner, especially when having to undo it all.

I use a nice Britool spanner. These days I use it for all Fraim building (and un-building) and tighten to what now feels right. I know that doesn’t help but you soon get to know what’s tight and what’s over-tight.

4 Likes

Thanks Richard. I’m being a bit lazy as I have the right spanner, but for posterity on this thread; what’s the right spanner size for the Fraim nuts?

17mm

3 Likes

Yes, but I would imagine there is something in the Dealer agreement about a duty to install Naim gear if the customer wishes it.

Even if there is, there must be a limit to this responsibility (MuSo, Fraim, pre loved?)