Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

I don’t know what’s agreed between Naim and their UK dealers these days - it’s been many years since I was involved with Naim sales.

In the absence of specified torque settings there are three accepted values for tightening nuts:

• Finger Tight

• Nipped up

• Grunt Tight

Nipped up is the correct setting for Fraim spikes.

1 Like

I read somewhere that they should be tightened as much as possible with your fingers, followed by 1/8th of a turn with the tommy bar or spanner. That’s what I did, anyway.

1 Like

You forgot the fourth - “Linn tight”

This is applicable when fitting cartridges to a head shell

Is that similar to ‘kin’ tight :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

One down from “broken tight” IIRC

If you think you are going to use Naim for a long time, the fraim is a no brainer imho and an end game rack (unless naim releases a FraimDr).

I have 8 tiers in 2 stacks in use and another base and 2 regular tiers in the store.

1 Like

Can’t help noticing your Fact 12s are not toed in. Is this just aesthetic or do you find it better? I have Fact 8 and have toed in about 2ft behind the listening position as per the PMC setup instructions. However, as I am on a carpeted concrete floor with spikes and every movement requires me to re-level the speakers, it’s hard work and takes ages! I’ve not played with positioning.
If you’ve had the opportunity to play around with the position, advice would be appreciated, similarly distance to rear wall.
Looks like you also have iso feet as do I

Hi
Over the years i have tried the fact’s in many positions with the standard spikes, isoacoustic gaia and now finally the townshend podium.
The podiums certainly give the best results and each liked a different position, but I do run them toed in and away from the rear wall, with all the switches on the rear set to middle.
But the podiums make it far easier to adjust the position to the exact position I like and they also lift the performance of the speaker to a higher level, plus stops the floor being energised and the rack and the kit that sits on it

3 Likes

I was thinking of trying the podiums but as I have carpet over concrete not really sure how well they work. They would still need spiking to get through the carpet

I think you would just sit the podiums on the carpet, no spikes involved, plus you remove the spikes on the speakers and just sit them directly on top of the podiums.
You wouldn’t find it as easy as I do to move them as I have solid 25mm oak glued to the concrete floor and they slide easy on that.
But I do think you would find a nice improvement from your speakers if on the podiums as even PMC themselves demonstrate using the podiums, I couldn’t believe the difference over the gaia’s I was using before and they were better than the standard spikes

As Dunc says you just use the podiums direct on the carpet. Im using them on thick carpet and underlay over concrete and they give phenomenal results.

3 Likes

Don’t they wobble in an uncontrolled way on carpet?
Maybe I need to try them……

I wouldn’t have thought so, they wobble if you push them whatever they sit on, but the weight of the speaker keeps it planted.
Just need to level them and that’s easy to do

Well @NigelB my friendly Naim dealer who exists in Leicestershire installed mine although I did provide sandwiches and copious amounts of tea!

Indeed, but you have established a good, long term relationship with that dealer. I wonder if they would do the same for a new customer who say bought a Fraim base and a shelf?

Would be down to the tea and sandwiches!

1 Like

Max from Townsend audio reassured me that the podiums were developed on carpet when I voiced concerns.
He also sent me a YouTube video.

Hope this helps

PS they improved the sound of my speakers to my ears

1 Like

I use them on carpet over concrete as well. They only wobble if you push the loudspeakers. HTH

I’m planing to order a Fraimlite, two bases and 3 shelves per each tower with the space for 8 units in total. Does anyone has this kind of configuration, how tall is the rack including the fraim chip floor protectors?
Our Tv is hanging on the wall, 62cm above the floor that’s why the height is so important.

Cheers,
Kacper